Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Hedgehog Forums > Hedgehog Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hedgehog Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a hedgie - post it here!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3

Garnet is doing great so far. She actually just started eating hard kibble (crushed) again a couple days ago.

Sonic is having some issues with her eye, it is kind of popping out and looks really gooey. Unfortunately my vet is out of town at a conference right now (I know that she is so good at what she does because she goes to all these things, but it can be at the most inconvenient times!). I have been giving her the Tramadol, since I'm assuming that has to be painful, but she is still eating, drinking, and running on her wheel.

My vet is back on Thursday, so we're kind of just holding on until then, and then we will get her opinion on what to do. I don't want to euthanize her yet, since she is still behaving normally, but I also don't want to put her through a surgery that may do more harm than good.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM United States

Hedgehogs: 1

I am so sorry. You are all in my thoughts.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM United States
super-duper hedgiepig

Hedgehogs: 2

That's really encouraging news for Garnet. I hope things continue that way for her.

With any luck, Sonic can get in to see the vet now that she's back. Hopefully, she can offer you some options that you haven't explored yet. Though, overall, it sounds like things are progressing quickly. I'm sorry Give Sonic an extra snuggle for me and let her know I'm rooting for her.
--> Satin Mirranda Hufflepuff <--
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 AM United States

More news on Sonic: yesterday I had to take her into the vet, even though the one we normally see wasn't there. When I woke up in the morning she was making whimper noises, so I checked on her, and the skin around her eye had broken open and was bleeding. We got her in to the vet and they removed they eye, debulked some of the cancer tissue, and stitched it closed. We are now flushing the area with an antimicrobial twice daily, applying ointment, and they have her on amoxicillin because it looked like it was starting to get infected.

She is drinking water, but not eating on her own today. She tried, but I think it hurt too much, so we syringe fed her some A/D this morning, she would only take about 1.5 mL, but we will try again later. Before the surgery she was eating plenty and very active, so we're hoping once she recovers from the surgery she will pick back up again.

Later when I have more time I will post some pictures. In the meantime she is getting plenty of snuggles. After her surgery she spent most of the day napping in my sweatshirt.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 AM United States
super-duper hedgiepig

Lots of love to Sonic. I hope she has some good quality time with you.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM United States

Sonic ate on her own last night! She had some Hills A/D and chicken and sweet potato baby food. She didn't seem at all interested in it when I gave it to her last night, but I woke up this morning and it was all gone
Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM United States
super-duper hedgiepig

Always feels good when you know the food made it to their bellies. I hope the surgery buys her more time where she's feeling good and doing all the good hedgie things. Wheeling, eating, drinking, pooping up a storm...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 PM United States

On Friday we had to make a trip to the vet for Garnet. Her mouth was bleeding, but it stopped quickly. The vet checked her out and said her bottom teeth are cutting the tumor on the top of her mouth, and that is why it bled. So she is on antibiotics too.

Other than that both of them are doing great. I got them some wax worms to try, and they are both still a little confused by them. I did mash a few up and mix it with their baby food though, and they didn't even notice the difference! They have both lost a little weight since the start of this, so I hope that will give them a boost and they can gain it back.

Sonic's eye is looking so much better! It is healing up quite nicely, and her appetite just keeps getting better and better. She is chomping away at her ground hard kibble, and of course she is appreciative of all the extras she has been getting. She's still a little angry that she can't have her wheel at the moment, but tomorrow I think we might try some supervised running time and see how that goes.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM United States
super-duper hedgiepig

Ouch for Garnet! I wish those tumors would stop growing.

One thing I found amazing about Satin is that she absolutely insisted on eating her hard kibble - right up to the end. I'd downsized it to RC Kitten and Baby Cat and, of course, offered multiple options for soft food all the time. But she wanted to keep crunching away. So I let her.

Guess it's just the hedgie way

Sending more hugs!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM United States

Okay, neither of the pokies ate last night. I'm not sure why they both decided to go on food strike, but we're syringing them today, and I hope they will eat tonight. My boyfriend was in charge of meds last night and he forgot about their Pepcid, so I'm hoping they just had upset stomachs because of that.

Cross your fingers and wish us luck!