Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Hedgehog Forums > Hedgehog Diet & Nutrition
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hedgehog Diet & Nutrition Anything to do with the diet or nutrition of a hedgie - post it here!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 PM United States

Hedgehogs: 1

I found a site that offers free samples! Only 6 cat foods though, and those had pretty high fat content. I ordered 3, two from Call of the Wild and one from Fromm, just to see. If you are looking for the cat food you have to hunt for them, they are mixed in and not searchable.

http://www.k9cuisine.com/showcategor...g-food-samples
Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM United States

Chinchillas: 9
Hedgehogs: 16

I found this thread on hedgehog central http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ble-sizes.html . It may be outdated at the beginning like the chicken soup pieces and it's not complete but it has a few x, triangle, and heart shape pieces plus very small pieces listed. Next time we buy food I should put our 3 on there which is actually 4 shapes cause blue buffalo has 2 different shapes in it.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM United States
super-duper hedgiepig

Hedgehogs: 2

Awesome find on the free sample site!

Since you have the KnF, I'd go ahead and keep offering them. It won't do any harm. She may decide that maybe... just maybe... they're worthy of her attention.

As she's getting better, I'd move her food away from her bed and back to the original position. Just change the proportion toward less and less in bed and more and more into the bowl in its regular place. I like to save the food in bed strategy for when things are going wrong. Though she may be the type to prefer eating food when it's hidden... you might try putting her regular dish in an igloo. That way it's in an area that feels safe to her, but it's not right there in bed.
--> Satin Mirranda Hufflepuff <--
Old 09-19-2013, 12:53 AM United States

Hedgehogs: 1

Well Luna snubbed her food yesterday. I don't know if it is from the KnF being in there or something else, but the last time she did that I was trying to get her to eat the CSCLS. I gave her a handful of the Chow and she was crunching away when I put her to bed. I don't want to experiment so I just gave her the Chow tonight, she hasn't put on enough weight yet to risk not eating 2 days in a row. (she is still on the carnivore care and is licking the bowl clean every time, so she is eating something.) I have no idea what to do. Tomorrow is cage cleaning day so I will try the food in the igloo.

Still looking for something she might like. Flavor wise is chicken and turkey more commonly preferred over fish? I heard back from some of the food companies and they are sending me different coupons. Thought I might poke around the pet store with the coupons I have.

Thanks for the kibble size and shape thread. Very interesting and helpful. After this is all over, I will put pictures of the 8 million different kibbles I will most likely have.

Last edited by Raindog; 09-19-2013 at 12:57 AM.