Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Housing & Supplies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Housing & Supplies Anything to do with the housing & supplies of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM United States

Greychins, I recognize that picture now! When I saw your setup in the FN thread I was so inspired I decided to find a local metal shop to powder coat my pans too! Then naturally I got carried away and now they're powdering my pans, saucer, wheel and litter box too
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM United States

Chinchillas: 1

I have my single chin in a 2 story Critter Nation which is the same size as the FN but the wire caging is oriented horizontally instead of vertically.

They will figure out how to manage the levels with the ramp easily.

My opinion would be 1 FN per pair would give the pair sufficient room to romp and play. I say this because my single has the same amount of room and is very content.

If you check out Midwest Nation website you can get the cage dimensions to determine what you think will work for your little ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM Mexico

Budget wise I think the ferret nation would be your better option, with the exception been if you are good with tools and could make your own custom cage. The 3 sided wood cage seems harder to clean and maintained in my opinion (those ledges and walls would get chewed and pee on them, I would be a lot of sandpapering to keep them clean). With the FN you can just vacuum everything daily, and it would take less than 5 minutes.

With time you can get everything on sale (considering you already have a cage you can wait to get the best deal) the less I have seen a FN 182 new (lately) is 176 dlls, but everyone here said that with time you can get one used on Craiglist for less. Amazon and Google shopping is a good place to start for a new one.

The ledges would be quite inexpensive if you can make them yourself if not, several of this forum members sell those; and from time to time have premade set for less that it would cost to bought them separately.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM United States
"Ellie Mae"

Chinchillas: 5
Hedgehogs: 1

I have Fns with the metal Bass Pans (from Bass Equipment Co). The pans really help keep some mess inside. All 6 of my boys use a glass baking dish as a potty (fill with shavings) and I make and use fleece liners (one cage is tiled). There will always be some mess , but it isnt too bad! I think the FN is easy to chin proof. You can replace the plastic floor pans with metal pans or buy fleece liners to cover them. You can remove or cover with fleece the plastic shelf trays that come with it. Add a few ledges here and there and some accessories and you are good to go!!
Mom of Inca the chin, Smokey the chin, Bandit the chin, Frog the chin, Jackson the chin, Josie the lab/chow, Trouble the beagle mix, Trooper the spaniel mix,2 Skinny pigs (Flower and Blossom) Ellie Mae the hedgie and a 90 gal. community tank. RIP Rowdy my ferret and Charlie the chin.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM United States

Chinchillas: 6

Again, thanks for all the responses!! Now I am thinking about the FN 182... I might give one a try for the new pair before I switch from the Chin Mansions with all of them.

I was wondering if it would be a plausible idea to actually get some proper wood from Home Depo and make panels for the back and sides of the Chin Mansions... the only problem is that I'd have to drill out holes in the wood where the Chin Spins and ledges attach.

Gosh, I really am wondering if a converting a FN 182 would just be the easiest and most effective solution... does anyone here custom make ledges that fit the FN that they would be wiling to sell?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM United States

Well, I gave in and I bought a FN 182 and the replacement pans from Bass Equipment. This should be an interesting project!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM United States
Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!

Chinchillas: 3

I also do not have chins yet, but my set-up is a Ferret Nation 182 as well. I probably spent a lot more setting mine up than most ... but these are my first chins and I went a little crazy! :-P I found it a lot of fun being able to basically set up the cage anyway I wanted. I do think it cost more money in the end ... getting the Bass Pans, buying shelving, getting fleece, etc. ... but the cage is exactly how I would have wanted it. You can also buy a third level add-on for the Ferret Nations if you want to make them bigger, something I plan on doing very soon!

There are several vendors who can make you shelves any size you like! Shelly (Shooper) who made a previous comment on here makes and sells shelves with little poo guards. Twilight Chinchillas makes shelves and you can get custom poo guards, Whimsey's Menagerie also makes shelves! You can find multiple vendors! The best part, lots of places pre-make things to fit the Ferret Nations since they are such popular cages.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM Mexico

Default I would love to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyKat View Post
I also do not have chins yet, but my set-up is a Ferret Nation 182 as well. I probably spent a lot more setting mine up than most ... but these are my first chins and I went a little crazy! :-P I found it a lot of fun being able to basically set up the cage anyway I wanted. I do think it cost more money in the end ... getting the Bass Pans, buying shelving, getting fleece, etc. ... but the cage is exactly how I would have wanted it. You can also buy a third level add-on for the Ferret Nations if you want to make them bigger, something I plan on doing very soon!
Your cage seems that have had a lot of love. I would love to see it sometime. Iím always looking for decoration ideas!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM United States

I am getting very excited! I bought the Bass Pans - Shooper/Shelly, do you have a website with your custom poo guards and shelves? I'd love to look at them!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM United States

Okay, question: when you all say "powder coat" the pans, what does that mean? *clueless*

So I bought the FN 182 and the Bass pans and am waiting for them to arrive.

Questions while I wait as well as a check-list for me:

1. How hard is the cage to set up straight from the box? Tools needed?
2. I know I'll take out/not put in the plastic ferret stuff
3. One Bass pan goes in the bottom, the other (with the hole) goes in the middle, right?
4. Will the Bass pans honestly keep a lot of the mess in, or do I reinforce them with some sort of poo guard?
5. I put the bedding in the two Bass pans.
6. Add toys, ledges (probably with custom poo guards), water bottle, food, etc.

I am trying to prepare myself for when this thing comes. I am one of those "I want to be completely prepared" people when it comes to something new, even a chin cage.