Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Breeding & Babies > Chin Breeding Horror Stories/Pictures
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Breeding Horror Stories/Pictures NOTICE: This section contains extremely graphic stories and pictures. ENTER AT OWN RISK.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 PM United States
Pro Cage Cleaner Champion

Chinchillas: 240+

I don't think you would have wanted to see it, Nicole! LOL It wasn't very pleasant at all...ick.

Kiwi is doing very well today...she's really back to her old self. That's a HUGE relief.

http://chinstore.azchins.com
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Chrolte

This happened to me too! Just today I came home from my out of town weekend and I found two dead babies in the cage. One of them had their scalp torn right off and the other one looked like it was perfectly healthy; it was fluffy and looked like the mother started caring for it but the little one was dead

This evening I went out to get something for supper and found that the mother had given birth to conjoined twins!!! I was so horrified; she ate the heads off of both of them. I can't understand why she would kill her entire litter?! I"ve had chins in the past and *never* have I witnessed anything so gruesome. Could it be that maybe she knew something was "off" with her litter, and maybe that's why she killed the first two that were born? The first two were not conjoined though, so I am really confused. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing? I always thought chins were excellent parents?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM United States
You Have No Idea!

Chinchillas: 6

While I feel horrid that you had to deal with it I do find it quite amazing. I too am curious what organs it might have shared. Regardless, I am happy that Kiwi is well!!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM United States
I <3 dustbunnies

Chinchillas: 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrolte View Post
This happened to me too! Just today I came home from my out of town weekend and I found two dead babies in the cage. One of them had their scalp torn right off and the other one looked like it was perfectly healthy; it was fluffy and looked like the mother started caring for it but the little one was dead

This evening I went out to get something for supper and found that the mother had given birth to conjoined twins!!! I was so horrified; she ate the heads off of both of them. I can't understand why she would kill her entire litter?! I"ve had chins in the past and *never* have I witnessed anything so gruesome. Could it be that maybe she knew something was "off" with her litter, and maybe that's why she killed the first two that were born? The first two were not conjoined though, so I am really confused. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing? I always thought chins were excellent parents?
Wait - She had 4 - one dead seperate, one alive, and a set of conjoined twins? - then killed the live one? were the conjoined twins alive? I am confused...

Sometimes mothers do kill the babies. It doesnt happen very often from what i know of...I would be very cautious to put her back into a breeding situation.

Boxer: Lucian and Raja 03/01-05/12
Boston terrier: Lola
Dachshund: Oscar

I sell Purina Rabbit Chow Show!

Visit my website www.freewebs.com/volunteerchinchillas
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Chillin_Chins

Im sorry for you and kiwi