Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin General Topics > Arlington TX Bust
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Chinchillas: ~70

Quote:
and even you must realize this, is checking for sex when placing chins together. It's not like it takes 4 hours to flip a chin, gander their private areas, and then place them in a carrier. We're talking seconds here.
If they're having babies now they bred long before Rick got them.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

I realize that Tara. But the people receiving them should have been warned. I know Crysta received cagemates - a male and a female. They should have at least had the option to decide if that was something they wanted to risk.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 PM United States
Trouble....

Chinchillas: 1

If the animals are on "pregnancy watch" now, then that means they were most likely mis-sexed during the rescue and were separated after they were in their new homes/rescues. If they were known to be with males before the rescue, they should never have been adopted out and should have been kept at the rescue until pregnancy watch was over.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 PM United States
Jax Chinchilla Rescue

Chinchillas: 4+R

Quote:
I know Crysta received cagemates - a male and a female. They should have at least had the option to decide if that was something they wanted to risk.
It was known from the beginning that I wanted to take in only males since the rest of my rescues happened to be male at the time and they were going to end up sharing the rescue room. I was so against the possibility of an oops breeding due to the age of these chins which is why I requested males in the beginning. While I am dealing with it appropriately, I definitely wasn't asked if this was something I wanted to take on. When I sent Rick an email about it the exact response I got back was "****, we worked real hard to be sure- extending the penis even. I am really sorry. Do you want me to take them? I can neuter the male and leave them together. Rick". I'm not sure what that would have fixed due to them having to be separated for 6 weeks anyway after he was neutered. I had already adopted out the male at that time anyway, and I was more than capable in taking care of the situation. I appreciate him being willing to take them, but I'll be honest and say I was a little offended, though I'm sure he didn't mean it as me being not able to handle the situation.

My two were actually paired up by Rick on his way down from NC to FL. They were singles before that according to Rick. When I called him to ask how everything was going, I was told "A bit of humping, but other than that they are getting along fine". Now, I understand males hump each other to show dominance, so I am not saying that should have been a red flag. My issue is, is that I don't think mine were ever even sexed, at all, when they were put together as a pain. I think it was just assumed that they were both male.

Last edited by Essentia; 03-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 PM United States
RavenousDeadlyZombieChins

Chinchillas: 60+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
If they're having babies now they bred long before Rick got them.
Even with this Tara...NOLA put people under the assumption that these chinchillas were cared for and sexed properly BEFORE he got them. Because an "expert" veterinarian who says fresh vegetables should be a part of a chinchilla's diet as a treat was supposedly in charge. I've looked back through the dates I could find on the thread and according to NOLA's posts...the one chin that's had babies so far got pregnant VERY close to the seizure date IF she carried for a full 111 days.

Also, Rick...the SPCA was contacted by other rescue organizations willing to help those chinchillas and they were turned away because NOLA assured the SPCA that he would take any and all chinchillas. I know that he received at least two offers from members willing to take and quarantine all 70 chinchillas before shipping them out to individual homes. HE chose not to take up the offer and HE chose to be a glory hound and ignore basic rescue procedure. Thank you for endangering the lives of chinchillas, Rick! You're a GREAT rescue!

RDZC Ranch
Proud ECBC member
Empress Chinchilla National Director-at-Large
Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM United States
Dot lives forever!

Here's the thing. If you are a rescue, it is your responsibility to insure that the animals are going to good, proper homes and your ADOPTERS are getting animals that are free of disease, health problems, and pregnancy.

Any females that were in with a male should have been held to see if they'd deliver or PLACED with a person who knew what to look for, and were ready to take on that type of situation.

The animals should have went to a central location, quarantined for their 30 days, treated for problems(fungus) properly sexed, and then separated into groups "males", "females" "pregnancy watchers".

I'm glad the chins made it out. I'm glad they are alive. However, maybe next time before someone takes on such a large rescue they'll have things in place before doing it to insure the well being of the animals, and that the fosters/adopters were getting healthy animals.

Rescues and people take in large amounts of dogs and cats from busts each year, but they have a structured method in doing so. This should have been in place for the chinchillas involved. Instead of insuring this, it was more about the 'lime light" and being praised and patted on the back, IMO. So now fosters and adoptive people ave animals birthing with no idea, no experience, and worst of all with young, inexperienced animals.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM Canada
Christiane's Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50 +

My God, how I am discussed with all of this.

I can only wonder how well I would have done in this situation in rescuing them. Just curious on how well many would have done. Guess we will never know.

Glory my eye, it's hard work and long hours with not much sleep I am sure.

Who the heck would I be to judge.

Last edited by saphire; 03-30-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM United States
RavenousDeadlyZombieChins

Chinchillas: 60+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
My God, how I am discussed with all of this.

I can only wonder how well I would have done in this situation in rescuing them. Just curious on how well many would have done. Guess we will never know.

Glory my eye, it's hard work and long hours with not much sleep I am sure.

Who the heck would I be to judge.
Rick and the SPCA were offered by two people to take in all 70 chinchillas in one facility. Actually keeping the chinchillas in one place for 30 days, properly treating for fungus and properly sexing the chinchillas is hard work. Fortunately for these chins the "rescue" deemed this unnecessary and instead passed off chinchillas the day they were handed over from the SPCA. I have taken in large amounts of rescues...mainly breeding herds that have been run into the ground and take months to recover fully...as have many people voicing their opinions in this thread.

As I've pointed out before...a true rescue would have responded to this situation and handled it as a similar situation was handled in Northern California a few years back. Over 180 chinchillas with fungus, bumblefoot, malo and a number of other problems were rescued. ALL 180 chinchillas were kept at ONE rescue facility, treated properly, and held onto for additional months to ensure their health before adopting them out to homes. This was a couple of years ago...the facility still has 70 of those animals looking for homes as of last November. They aren't complaining, asking for donations, or insisting on railroading and moving all 70 chinchillas at one time.

RDZC Ranch
Proud ECBC member
Empress Chinchilla National Director-at-Large
Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM Canada
Christiane's Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50 +

I will always tilt my hat to someone who I believe has tried his/her best at any given time.

I tilt my hat to you NOLA!

I do believe eveything has already been said over and over.
For myself I am putting this thread to rest, as I see it as getting old and stale.