Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 2
Default Plastic, Crossbar or Too Small Wheel?

Hey,

Here in England its a bit hard to get a metal wheel that's a good size, and I think its the same with some othef countries. So I'm wondering, if you really had to get an exercise wheel for your chinchilla(s), would you choose a plastic, crossbar or a wheel that's too small (10 inch+)?

I personally would choose one that's a bit too small as plastic can be dangerous if digested and a chin could break their legs or tail on a crossbar one, so if it is a bit too small then while it would make it a bit difficult to run on they wouldn't really get hurt physically. I made this choice today because I've planned a space for a wheel but I couldn't find a suitable one, and I've just seen some 11 inch metal wheels on ebay.

What do you think?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM United States

Chinchillas: 4+

Maybe, only if you have a small chin. And it doesn't have a spoke in the middle that comes out. Consider chin anatomy and how it will fit in the wheel. If the wheel is small the chin has to arch it's back as it runs which like the others can hurt the chin physically.

They sell good wheel on ebay here and I think they do international shipping though that means of course it is more expensive. But so are chinchillas and vet bills. Consider the chin spin, silver surfer or similar wheels. Or some homemade ones on ebay.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:39 AM United States

Chinchillas: 4+

http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=106

This is what I have, and it is wonderful. Silent and sturdy. Chinchillas.com also has international shipping. Wheels are an investment but last a life time ( yours and your chins)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM United Kingdom

You see it has to be in the UK or we can't get it, there aren't any of those wheels here and the wheel I ordered is the only one that is metal on ebay, I was just generally asking for an opinion on which one would you choose out of the three
Old 08-31-2014, 03:03 PM Canada

There are online stores that ship internationally, the flying saucer store I know for a fact does. Also Quality Cages who sell the chin spin and flying saucer ship worldwide. There is also a wheel thing similar to the flying saucer that is on the UK amazon site... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You're better off with no wheel then any of the ones you mentioned, plastic can be eaten and even if not the friction of the wheel causes plastic dust partials that are inhaled. A wheel with a metal bar can decapitate a chin (yes it has happened), or at least break their neck, and/or tail or leg since chins like to jump off the wheel while it's still moving. A wheel that is too small (smaller then 14 inches) will bend their back the wrong way, a chin's spin is shaped like a hump so bending backwards can cause back injury that can lead to, worse case, a paralyzed chin or one with arthritis in it's back over time. So yes a wheel that is too small will hurt the chin physically.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM United Kingdom

It's not really about if they ship internationally or not its just the fact that my parents wouldn't get it it's how they are, and the saucer is waaay too expensive my cage cost around that price, not paying more than 20 because its just not worth it paying more. I've looked at dog bowls that I could turn into a wheel but they are all too small, I'm guessing I'm staying without a wheel but I'm worried they'll get bored.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:09 PM Canada
Chin lover

Chinchillas: 10

The expense of a proper wheel is worth it. I have paid a lot for wheels as shipping and duty are insane to Canada even. Save up for it and get a proper wheel. They last a lifetime.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 PM Canada

Yeah, I guess if your parents wont buy anything online (other then ebay?) then you are pretty much out of luck no matter where in the world you live, I don't know of any physical pet stores that sell proper wheels. Also any chin safe wheel is going to cost more then 20 pounds, lol, you get what you pay for though since some can outlast your chin (which is saying something since they can live 20 years!). You could try looking in classifieds for used wheels, you might get lucky and find one for that cheap.
There is the option of making your own using a feed pan, there is instructions, here if you scroll down to the homemade wheel and click on the link. I have no idea what it costs to make though.
The chins I had growing up never had wheels, and most breeders don't use wheels so I think your chins will be fine so long as they get plenty of toys and some out of cage playtime. It's like giving a kid a swing set, if they have other things to do and play with they won't be bored without it.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3

In my opinion, Yuki would just have to do with lots of extra playtime rather than me risking his health with a wheel that isnt chin safe.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 PM United States

Chinchillas: 20+

I agree. They would be safer without a wheel than with an unsafe one. Do not use a wheel under 12 inches. Preferably larger (14 inches) if possible. Plastic anything should be avoided. If price is an issue i would wait and save up. There is no replacing a good wheel. Talk to your parents about shipping.