Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 AM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Chinchillas: ~70
Default Selling diseased animals

This is about Strangles, also known as Equine Strep and one of the most rapid-spreading contagious diseases known to horses.

This started in CA and is now running around almost every state in the U.S. wiping out unknowing and unlucky herds and not even a PEEP out of people. There is no cure and nothing you can do to save the animals and there are now several breeders selling carriers. The chinchillas that survive will always be carriers and always pass it to other chinchillas (and heaven forbid, horses or humans, it does happen).

It's a well known issue in horses and I vaccinate mine yearly for it.

Just found out that one it popped up in my state from a local vet. Here is a very good article on it; http://suite101.com/a/chinchillas-an...angles-a282106

Here is what it does to horses, I'll let you google the pictures; https://online.zoetis.com/GB/EN/Cond...nfections.aspx

Here is a lovely example of where it jumped to humans; http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/media/...HorseStrep.pdf

To recap;
There is a highly contagious lifelong disease running around in chinchillas that has a 30-45% death rate, no cure, and nobody is talking but they ARE happily selling animals to unknowing buyers and infecting other herds.

How do you feel about this?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM United States
I bite.

Chinchillas: 8

Could you give more background on what the disease is that's affecting chinchillas? Name? Symptoms? etc? This is the first I've heard about it. Do you have any documentation from vets, necropsies?

And I think it's obvious how people with any morals would feel...it's not right.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 AM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Quote:
Could you give more background on what the disease is that's affecting chinchillas? Name? Symptoms?
It's Equine Strep/Strangles. Same symptoms as horses from what I have heard, though I did link to an article that had information on a chinchilla with it and the vet here confirmed that this was what they had seen.

I personally have only seen horses with it and had only herd rumors about it in chinchillas so didn't feel I had the right to say anything. Now that I've had it confirmed by an actual vet in my state, I'm happy to tell you this is nasty stuff.

Quote:
And I think it's obvious how people with any morals would feel...it's not right.
But chinchillas are a business, if this was your source of income/investment and the only moral solution was to put down the entire herd to keep it from spreading, would you take the loss and do it?

Last edited by Spoof; 12-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 AM United States
I bite.

Chinchillas: 8

Ah, ok. I should have clicked on the links. It was a little unclear at first.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM United States
Hendryx Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50+

I have heard many rumors about this illness but luckily have not yet seen it. It scares the crap out of me and you are right-not many people are talking.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM United States
Humble Acres Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 70

While I have heard the rumors flying, this is the first I've heard a name given to the illness. I've heard of strangles in horses. Very scary.

Dee
Humble Acres Chinchillas
Specializing in standard, violet, and ebony
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM United States
Hendryx Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 50+

It's crazy because if you have bought a chin from someone that is a carrier and they have no symptoms-how are you supposed to know if you have it in your herd or not? I can see where this could result in a vicious cycle of unknowingly selling ill animals.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Quote:
how are you supposed to know if you have it in your herd or not?
The symptoms are so extreme you can't miss it, and in a larger herd you won't not have symptoms as it is carried and can re-appear during times of stress throughout the animal's life. Rumor is it also has a high fatality and sterility rate.

There is a swab they do in horses to determine carriers but it isn't terribly accurate. It also requires swabbing the back of the nasal passage which isn't easily reachable in chinchillas. Once they are showing signs it is easy as all body fluids are contagious.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM United States
Zookeeper extraordinaire

Chinchillas: LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
To recap;
There is a highly contagious lifelong disease running around in chinchillas that has a 30-45% death rate, no cure, and nobody is talking but they ARE happily selling animals to unknowing buyers and infecting other herds.

How do you feel about this?
Dumbfounded, sick to my stomach,but more just pissed off than anything! Anyone knowingly selling animals w/ this disease/ and or carriers is the bottom of the barrel.
It's going to be very difficult to know who to go to for animals. I have a very small herd now, and most are nearing retirement age. Luckily I have't introduced any animals in over a year and a half, but do attend shows. Is this air borne Tara??
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Quote:
Is this air borne Tara??
It is passed by normal Strep transmission methods - contact with sick animals, close proximity, handling etc. You can learn a lot by reading the horse article, it's the same thing on a smaller scale.

It can be contained by good hygiene, hand washing and due diligence etc.

Yes, it can be passed at shows due to airborne proximity and handling and has wiped out horse shows in the past. That is why everyone vaccinates for it.