Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2
Default I don't get it.

If I am told something is unsafe for my chins, I stop using it or doing it immediately and ask questions later, I give the people who are telling me it the benefit of the doubt that their info is correct until it can be proved otherwise, its only for the good of my chins. I don't get those that just continue on and ignore warnings, I mean really not everyone is perfect and so what if you were doing something you thought was safe and it turns out its not, you are not a bad person, a bad person is someone who does not listen and just carries on. So why do people ignore advice?

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM

If I only had the answer to that one Dawn I'd share my billions of $$$ with you! Sometimes no matter how hard you try you just can't help people esp if they don't want help.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM United States
ZooKeeper

Chinchillas: 1

I would err on the side of caution as well. I would definitely not be satisfied with the advice of one person, but would feel more confident if the information provided was accepted by many. I would want to investigate further, but again, would not use the product until I knew for sure if it was safe or not. Wrong or misleading advice can be given, even from those with the best of intentions.

A big problem is when a pet store, or a vet, gives out the wrong information. We tend to believe someone, first, who is supposed to have that knowledge. It seems there are a lot of vets out there that group chinchillas with other rodent families. Especially when it comes to providing fruits and veggies. I think it can be hard for someone to hear otherwise, when the person they trust has given them information contrary to what they might hear here.

I also believe it is more difficult to "hear" information in writing. Corrections, contrary opinions, etc can sound much harsher, or stronger than what was intended, causing someone to thus become defensive, instead of embracing. I know I've typed things out, that when read to someone else, had a whole different tone than what I had intended. I also have experienced frustration when reading something to me that I interpreted incorrectly, since written words can't fully convey emotion and sincerity.

And, of course, some people are just too dense to accept good advice/information when given to them!

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

I can be a pig headed as anyone, many moons ago I used to use tea tree oil to clean cages, was told by a chin breeder it was cool to use, I liked it, liked the smell and the idea I was doing a good job because of the antimicrobial action of the oil. I posted on CNQ to a newbie to use it and got called out by a member whose name was Hedgemom-(RIP I do miss your wisdom) she never sugarcoated anything, normally I would argue but this time I thought WTH, its not going to kill them if I stop doing this until I actually find out if its safe, and the outcome was most of the information said its not, some freaks who sell products who contain it claim it was but the vet forums and vets, rescue groups and bunny people said its not, that was enough for me, my goal is to keep them alive.

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM United States
Humble Acres Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 70

People don't like to be told that they are wrong. Or that those they trust - the employees at the pet store or the veterinarian that treats their dog or the backyard breeder they got their chin from - are wrong.

I would hope anyone would err on the side of caution when it comes to their family members. But not everyone is like that.

Dee
Humble Acres Chinchillas
Specializing in standard, violet, and ebony
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3

I don't know either. Chinchillas are the first pet that I did the research for before getting and I had a great first breeder. We even have shown two of our boys because we were interested in breeding to do things right. I have to say that I am so thankful for the people who have mentored me because we have three healthy boys.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 PM United States

I also don't know. I came to this forum to seek advice and learn as much as I could. I found a ton of conflicting websites and vets and pet stores. I screwed up a ton of stuff with my boys and Leela (RIP). When Leela passed away I was devastated and needed to know how to help the guys live out the rest of their lives like kings. I could have gone on doing all the crap I was before, but I came looking for advice and I got tons. There was no reason for me not to follow it. I feel like now my boys and a rescue we've since acquired live a much better life because I have followed the advice of people on this forum. When people don't take advice or show up thinking they know everything already, it makes me sad. Sad for the poor animal that has to suffer at the stupidity of it's owner.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 AM United States
O.o

Chinchillas: 6+

I think it is part of the human condition too. People in general do not like being corrected or informed of wrongdoing. Also there is the mentality of 'it wouldn't happen to me', or 'it's not THAT bad', that is characteristic of youth. I think it also can come down things like, "I just spent 300$ on this cage and they are telling me all the fancy plastic shelves are dangerous". The pet store sold it to them so they feel that the risk must not be all that high if at all true.

I think a lot of times saying something in a specific way can get through to people better too (and I mean the ones not very open to others advise). For example they might be more willing to listen if you say, hey, those plastic shelves are going to get wrecked within months by the chinchillas chewing them to pieces, but if you cover it with some cute fleece it will protect the shelves and the chinchillas. Versus telling them the chins are gonna die from impaction if they don't go buy a new cage right now, ect. Even when the more blunt term might be more correct, the delivery matters as much as the information being delivered to prevent that characteristic defensiveness.

I experienced this too when my husband wouldn't understand why we couldn't by the 35$ plastic wheel from the pet store instead of the 80+$ metal ones. His response was "there is a chinchilla on the package and the metal ones are a waste of money". I simply pointed out to him that along time ago I bought a plastic wheel for my previous chinchilla, and within 2 months it was broken because he chewed off the center spoke mount. A metal one will last for years. Well, we still don't own a wheel but now he doesn't question why I won't buy a plastic one. (the whole they can get gut issues didn't seem like a big deal to him but the wasted money hit home).
Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

I suggest doing your research in depth before ever buying a chin. And then, if someone suggests something else or tells you that you're doing something wrong, research that too. Just because someone tells you to do something, does not always mean they are correct over you. It just depends on the topic and the experience level of the person. Even then, they can be wrong. Just do your research and go with your gut.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM United States

I got a chinchilla when I was 13. She was owned by aunt for two years, then when I got her I followed the instructions my aunt had given me. She was in much too small of a cage, she got fresh lettuce and things like that. Very crappy pellets were provided. At that time I didn't know any better, and Juliet (I named her, she didn't even have a name at my aunt's) passed away at 4 years old. Now that I know better I feel guilty for not taking care of her right. Now that I have another chinny (Yuna who is a little sick right now but steadily improving!) anytime I hear that something might be bad for here I steer clear of it.