Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM United States
Zookeeper extraordinaire

Chinchillas: LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I just got 2 babies for my daughter, and yes they were a gift but she's been around chins for 7 out of 11 years of her life. Secretly though, in my mind, they're mine !
Sandi, this is how we got addicted to the lil guys too. We did research before hand and my kids have been around animals all their lives, but secretly, they were kind of for me too.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 AM United States

Susan, just sell us all wood and toys during the month of December! And I agree with all of you, no pets as surprise gifts period. Its just a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 AM United States
Chinchilla Goddess

Chinchillas: 6

Pets should not be a gift! I do agree there are acceptations such as maybe a wife or hubby been wanting a dog or something and you keep saying no, then surprise them for their birthday.
But over all pets should not be gifts because they will end up somewhere where their life is on the line.

For my birthday turning 12 My parents got me a dog. They took me to the pound and let me pick out my new best friend. We played for over a hour as the lady told me how to take care of him...But I have always loved animals, done what ever I could for any animals I would catch frogs and keep them for a week get them the crickets and feed them then let them go.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 AM United States

Chinchillas: ;-)

I've been getting alot of emails asking for rescues or babies for Chistmas gifts too. I just tell them chins get too stressed out when they get to their new home and there is tons of activities (like parties and opening gifts, ect) that they are not good to get as a gift. If they still want a chinchilla then they can bring the family member out who it's for, see all I have available and put a deposit down. Give them all the supplies for the gift and then AFTER the holidays are over (sometime in January) they can come pick up their chinchilla. It will give them all time to get everything ready and be prepared and the chin won't have to be stressed out with all that's happening during the holiday season and the "new owner" will have picked out the one that they want!
I just delete emails that say things like "how much call me xxxxxxx" or "i want to pick a baby chinchilla up on dec 24 what do you have".....it just irritates me and I don't want to be rude to people so I just delete the emails, they are just not worth my time!
"THE RODENTS": All 20 Chillas
"THE HORSES": Cash From Above and JD n Coke
I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!!!
Jacqie
Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 AM Sweden

Chinchillas: 3

I got a full grown cat as a christmas present when I was a kid and it was a terrible experience, Christmas day is hectic enough without throwing a poor animal into the mix. I currently have an accidental hamster litter (gahh, the one time I fail at sexing animals I get a litter) that will be ready for their new homes soonish but I plan on waiting until after Christmas before I even attempt to find them homes to lessen the chance of an impulse adoption although I do have one family who may be interested in two of them, the kids are sweet and have wanted a hamster for months so I´m arranging to have them over a few days before Christmas to pick out their babies and I´ve been updating them with pics so they get to feel involved until their babies can come home in January.

That said, I am in the process of upgrading my chins to a larger cage which means I have a spare cage all fitted out and ready just incase I come across the perfect chin, I caught my boyfriend sniffing around the classified section but he has the common sense to wait until after Christmas day to `surprise`me. Could be wishfull thinking on my part, especially since I told him I would be happy with a large order of fleece and toys for my Christmas present and I think he is quietly jealous of the animals we already have since they get showered with so much love
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM United States
Chinchilla Goddess

Chinchillas: 6

Yeah I know what you mean with the jealousy. I made the mistake of calling Annie Boo Bear...Aj's pet name! Boy did I pay for that! He ignored me for the whole day. ROFL
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM Sweden

LOL, men are babies I got annoyed at Matt because he left dirty dishes all over the house the other day and he was all quiet for a few hours and then eventually came out with ´Why are you always angry at me, the chins can do anything and you never take it out on them´

Silly boy doesnt realise that they are animals and don´t know any better so of course I will forgive them for biting/pooping on me/chewing the walls.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM United States
ZooKeeper

Chinchillas: 1

I believe a parent can surprise their child with a pet for Christmas, or another occasion, but only doing so knowing the maturity of the child, and the responsibility of the parent to co care for this pet. I don't think a pet, in any other situation, is meant to be given as a surprise gift to someone. One, you're assuming this person wants a pet in the first place, and you're also assuming this person will properly care for this pet. So in general, I agree that animals should never be a surprise gift.

On the side, on Halloween, we talked with a mother who was trick or treating with her son, and her son went up to a house for candy, and was given a baby bunny. He brought the bucket with the bunny back to his mom, who immediately made him give it back to the homeowner. I couldn't believe that! Poor bunny, I wonder how many times he had been given away and returned that night...

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France
Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM United States
My babies Rock!

I've done animal rescue for a few years now, so my suggestion is always to give a gift card or the proper supplies for the pet someone wants with a tag that says "We'll go pick out your new (________) on Monday." Thankfully I haven't fostered or bred anything people would want as a "Christmas Present" or I'd probably be ready to snap by this point too. I'll second or third the idea of a statement on the website about Christmas is too stressful for the pets given as gifts and makes it harder for them to become a family member like they deserve, and then screening calls. If the consumer won't do what's best for the pet, then I believe it's up to the breeder/rescue to keep the animals safe.

I'd be tempted with some of the ruder/dumber types to blacklist them for down the road too, depending on how they react to your refusal. If they come back with the same attitude that "It's just a rodent, why is it $125? You're a greedy blahblahblah" then you can flag/block them, but if they come back around February or March and say, "Can we try this again now that the holidays are over? My 14 year old daughter really wants a chinchilla," you have the option of trying to work with the ones that seem more sensible.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
On the side, on Halloween, we talked with a mother who was trick or treating with her son, and her son went up to a house for candy, and was given a baby bunny. He brought the bucket with the bunny back to his mom, who immediately made him give it back to the homeowner. I couldn't believe that! Poor bunny, I wonder how many times he had been given away and returned that night...
That's just awful! I can't BELIEVE someone would do something like that! We get rabbits pushed off on us all the time because people know we rescue and we get them for the most ridiculous reasons, so I can believe it. Still, that poor bunny!