Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM United States
My babies Rock!

Chinchillas: 3

Many times in herps (snakes, lizards, etc.) when double or triple recessive animals are bred to express "extreme" traits (like the Blizzard corn snake shown here with a "normal" albino/Amelanistic: http://mrskingsbioweb.com/snakeresearch.htm ) the offspring are sickly, hard to feed, and just generally a 'lesser' animal than the normals and single recessive animals. I'd be worried that getting curly fur to express in chins, especially in mute colors, would cause the same size and quality problems a lot of breeders have with violets, sapphires. Can anyone with better eyes for a show standard tell me if that appears to be the case here? (I'm trying to learn to see quality animals, not just "aww how cute" when I look at a chin.)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM United States
Queen Becky, Ruler of Purpleland

Chinchillas: 250

Jim is working on size and fur. They can't begin to compete with a good standard, but are getting better.

I too have seen some of them and "cute" is the perfect word for them.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 PM United States
non-stop poop sweeper

Chinchillas: 10

I'm just a pet owner and although I do like the curly look, I wonder if it feels just as soft as the regular furred chins.

Tradition Chinchilla Pellets For Sale:
Tradition here

My boys ~ Pepper, Ebony, Ivory, Gerard, Coco, Sky, Twilight & Jet
Cassie's babies ~ Cupcake & Donut
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM United States
Bad Chin

There are a lot of mutes that really don't have a "place" in the chin world. Whites were not bred by ranchers really because they had not pelt value compared to standards or blacks because of the inconsistency in color or patterns. I don't think that by breeding them trying to improve the quality anyone is 'lessening' the breed per se.

I have recessive whites, they really don't add anything to the chinchilla gene pool so to speak. As adults they don't look excessively different, and take up more room in breeding than a dominant white. I don't see the difference I guess.

ECBC Member
Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM Antarctica
Irish Chinchilla

Chinchillas: 80+

I've never liked rex, not on cats, not on rats, not on anything. That's just my preference though.

I swear there was a thread on CnQ where someone had a curly baby born, and sent its picture to Jim, and Jim replied that the mutation he has been working with appears to be dominant and had tighter curls when homozygous - I remember this very clearly because I remember thinking it's dominant in rats as well.

Curly ebonies are how the Sakrison (recessive ebony) mutation was described.

Last edited by mishalaa; 06-26-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 AM United States

Default German Chins

I went to the website and found it very nice. I can't read German either, but I hit the translate button on my computer and I could read it all.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 AM United States
Professional Cage Cleaner

Chinchillas: 250+

Kyle and I have seen Jim's curly chins....they are rather adorable, an likes it's been said, where they don't really have a place in the chin "world" now, with proper knowledge and breeding who knows? I'd really hate to see the wrong people get thier hands on them though....just sayin

No matter what species of animal you breed, be it chinchillas, dogs, horses, lizards etc, the best breeders are the ones that don't profess to know it all, but instead are the people who admit there is always more knowledge to be had. The best breeders are the people who listen to the ones who have more experience and put it into practice, not argue with them because they think they can do it better.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM United States
I like dinosaurs :3

Chinchillas: 4

I like the german site posted above. I didn't have a way to translate it, but I clicked around anyway, and found the "Geburt" tab to be really awesome--there is a slideshow of a chinchilla giving birth at the bottom, you can see the kit making it's way out from picture to picture--so cool!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

They should breed the curly and angora chins together, so the curly chins could have long curly hair! I think that would be really pretty!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
LilanChilla

I think they are adorable, not that I plan on getting one anytime soon or anything, but when people talk about bettering the breed it makes me wonder what is bettering the breed? It seems everyone has a slightly different idea. At one time Im sure that violets/sapphires were not perfectly bred and accepted, and Im not even sure that we can still say that in every case.

I am just reminded of all the dog breeds and colors that were at one time not considered to be "bettering the breed" when people started breeding them. Munchkin, hairless cats? Red/white boston terriers just to name a couple. Overtime I can see these being accepted in the ring, most things are after the initial sort of shock they bring. Personally I think they will be just as accepted as other animals with certain mutations- in alot of time and work.

Feel free to disagree with me.