Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Bethany2386

I hate when people do that. Or here's an even better thing... I just LOVE it when my sister-in-law gets new pets. She will go adopt them from the Animal Welfare place... which costs money... She gets tired of them, and either sends them back to AWL or gives them to someone else... Then they sit there and complain because they don't have money... But if you only knew how many times they have gotten an animal and given it away... UGH! I waited to get an animal because I was still young and wanted to be able to do what I wanted. Now I have 3 chins, 2 fish, and a dog. I can't imagine living without them. And I still want to have a kid or two, but I will not give up my animals for that. I want my kids to have pets.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM United States
TLCuties

Chinchillas: 18

I work at a vets office and also did fostering all my childhood and that and moving are the main reasons why people get rid of their animals...... and I never understood that... because neither of those reasons would make me get rid of my animals.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM United States
RavenousDeadlyZombieChins

Chinchillas: 60+

This is something that irritates me. I mean...if you know someday you want kids and that you won't be able to care for your pets when your kids are young...wait to get the pet!

I plan on having kids later in life and I won't be giving up my pets. Not one of them will leave because I made the commitment to keep them. Not to mention any child of mine is going to learn to respect animals at an early age. The thing that taught me responsibility faster and better than anything else was having a pet and being taught to care for it.

RDZC Ranch
Proud ECBC member
Empress Chinchilla National Director-at-Large
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM United States
My babies Rock!

Chinchillas: 3

I've never understood that mentality either. I learned to walk in part b/c my grandmother's Great Pyr/Golden mix let me hang onto his fur and would very slowly, one step at a time, help me circle the living room. My aunt's border collie/beagle then got the job of herding me back into the living room after I'd started running around the house. The dog I grew up with was like a brother to me; I went into my first of several severe depressive episodes when he died. And people who have had a pet or pets for 5+ years just dump them when they have a kid instead of teaching the kid to respect the space and needs of the animal. From the outside of one of those situations, it looks like lazy parenting and the animals deserve better.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM United States

Chinchillas: 7

When I was born my parents had several animals (cat, dog, bird, lizards) as well as a toddler (my 1 1/2 yr old sister) and very little money, yet they still managed just fine. In fact the bird and the cat were very good at keeping my older sister entertained while mom took care of me. The bird would whistle at her and sing and the fat cat would lay on top of her.

I think a lot of people are just plain lazy and would rather sit in front of a computer or tv while their baby sleeps than take care of the animals so they get rid of them. Yeah, new parents are going to be tired and worn out for a while, but animals don't take a ton of time to feed, water, and clean up after (unless you have a ton of animals like Susan...lol) and most of them are content to just be in the same room as you. It'll be rough at first, but that doesn't mean you just give up.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
mk94

I was reading this and nobody seems to have brought it up yet, but I was curious... what happens if you have a child and had full intentions of keeping your pets, but then found out that they were allergic to the animals?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

I think that people should really consider all the good and bad points to animal owning before getting a pet of any kind. It's a major commitment and you have to really factor in every aspect of your lifestyle. If there is even one thing in your life that doesn't match with the criteria for giving the pet a quality life then you really ought to reconsider getting the animal atleast until things in your life change.

I had a dog that I had to find a new home for when my baby was born. It wasn't because of the new baby that he had to go it was my condo association. He was a 70 pound dog and where we live people are only allowed dogs up to 30 pounds. Plus he was having problems adjusting since we had just moved in and then the new baby too it was just too much for the dog. He ended up incredibly anxious and then he was having seizures. I did everything I could think of to try and keep him but the condo threatened to fine us 50 dollars each day the dog stayed and my trying to ease the dog's problems were not working so I ended up sending him to my inlaws. He was very happy there when he was alive because they live in a quiet place and since we visit a lot we still got to see and love the dog. We even paid for everything the dog needed while he was living there. In the end he died of cancer and had to be put down because he was very sick but not because nobody wanted him anymore. If it hadn't been for all the grief the condo association was giving me I would have just kept him with us.

<---I like this thing.

Last edited by jessica; 11-30-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:20 AM United States
My babies Rock!

Chinchillas: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk94 View Post
what happens if you have a child and had full intentions of keeping your pets, but then found out that they were allergic to the animals?
Decide based on the severity and type of allergy whether the child's room becomes off limits to the animal and anything it's been on/around, whether shots/a prescription allergy treatment to promote immunity are an option, or to rehome the animal as a COMPLETE last resort. Allergies aren't usually a death sentence if handled correctly; I had dogs and cats growing up and my parents are each allergic. They knew that and managed the symptoms until they built immunity to the individual animals b/c the pets were part of the family too. Of course, other families would handle it differently. That's just how mine did things twenty-some years ago.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 AM United States
RavenousDeadlyZombieChins

Chinchillas: 60+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk94 View Post
I was reading this and nobody seems to have brought it up yet, but I was curious... what happens if you have a child and had full intentions of keeping your pets, but then found out that they were allergic to the animals?
I'm allergic to dog dander. I have two dogs. The biggest thing people don't realize when they or their child is allergic to a dog or cat is that you can manage the animal's dander. I bathe my dogs which makes it so I can hold them, cuddle them and play with them without being in a constant state of stuffy nose and sneezing.

My dad and brother were allergic to cats when I was growing up. We have always had cats because my mom loves cats. I got the duty of bathing all the cats(foster and personal cats) once every two to four weeks to keep the dander down and it worked just fine. If we found my dad was sneezing excessively we'd bathe the cats and vacuum and he'd stop sneezing.

Allergies to me are not a death sentence. I lived with a girl who had asthma and allergies. In that house we had four dogs and two cats between all the roommates. She didn't die and never had to be rushed to the hospital. We bathed the animals every two weeks and kept that place as clean as possible. And her case of asthma was severe as well as her allergies to cats.

Allergies are manageable...people just don't want to put the work that's required into keeping the pets.

RDZC Ranch
Proud ECBC member
Empress Chinchilla National Director-at-Large
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM United States
Humble Acres Chinchillas

Chinchillas: 70

I had dogs and cats all through my childhood. So did my husband. We can never understand the belief that a new baby makes it impossible to keep your old pets. My childhood border collie kept an eye on my brother, me and my cousin when we were young while we played outdoors, and my niece is learning to stand and walk partially because of my parents' very tolerant lab. I could never imagine my life without animals!

Dee
Humble Acres Chinchillas
Specializing in standard, violet, and ebony