Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM United States
Mikey is a vanilla bean!

Chinchillas: 2

I think it also really depends on the seller. I have seen chins on cl that are in horrible condition, but I have also seen ones that are very well taken care of.

I actually just got a 6mo old male mosaic via craigslist. The guy was very nice and knowledgeable. He had rescued two chinchillas at different times and kept them in separate cages. He was told they were both males but one ended up being a female. So he went and got the male neutered and waited the appropriate amount of time before putting them together in the same cage.

Well apparently his male bent the rules, lol, because thats how my lil guy came to be, whoops. So technically he was an accident, because the guy had no intention of breeding them and tried taking the necessary steps. And he said he wanted to find the little guy a home otherwise he would neuter him as well, but he said he would rather not get him neutered if he didnt have to.

His rescue chins had the right cage, all the right supplies, and were eating the right food. And he was asking a very decent price ($100), I didnt even haggle with him because I felt the price was very reasonable.

So it goes to show you that not all craigslisters are scum (but many are, lol)

One crazy standard grey chinchilla: Michael Myers aka Mikey
One Mosaic chinchilla: Hannibal aka Nibbler
24 leopard geckos: Nub, Iris, Siren, Trixie, Rain, Setra, Juniper, Rusty, Zinnia, Violet, Coral, Azalea, Orchid, Ceres, Wolfsbane, Lady, Shadow, Lance, Rah, Pyre, Alfred, Nerine, Jessica, Juliet, and raptor
1 Dumeril's Boa: Purity

+ =
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

Hey guys just a little update. As most of you did guess right I didnt get him and she ended up emailing today (how ever long it is now) offering to sell him for 100 for everything. Of course now I dont remember what he looks like and am a little apprehensive to purchase him mostly because of my mom. She just got new shelves for her office, so now he wouldnt be able to be quarantined. Apparently people knocked some sense into her though if she is going down to 100.

Axton my black velvet baby
Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM United States

Actually just solved the quarantine problem: My boyfriend is willing to let him stay at his house for the month. he has no other pets and is home a lot and said he wouldnt get attached because hes not a big chinchilla person. he likes guinea pigs more. So now just decisions decisions...Ill have to meet the little guy too. My intentions would be to eventually put him in Ernie's cage so hes gotta be friendly. Do you guys know what I should look out for which would tell me he would not be a good pairing chin?

Axton my black velvet baby
Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 PM United States

I bought my chin on CL! I do not regret it. I saved her from a semi-neglectful home. She only cost $130 total and along with her, I got a big cage, a travel cage, enough dust that will last me a year, two huge bags of hay and two bags on wood shavings, toys, a hideaway, fleece, water bottle, food bowl, food that lasted 3 months, treats and a wheel!! Such a good deal and I love my little Chilly (:
Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM United States

frown Yes!!!

I recently got a 3 year old black male off of craiglist. You can easily negotiate prices, especially if no one else is bidding. $300 is too much. The girl I adopted from was asking $150 and i got her down to $50. & The whole "too much for a standard" I'm reading is BS. Every chin has the same value.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM United States

I got my old man of Craigslist. He's 10 and I got him and all his stuff for free. I love him to bits and he was obviously loved well beforehand, just not by people who were super educated.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 PM United States

My baby girls were from Craigslist. We got them a year ago and they were in far better condition than if we had gotten them from petsmart *shudder* I really think it just depends on the previous owner. They were also mistakes. The owner was amazing and told us if we had to rehome the chins to contact them and they would take them back. I'm really glad for these "mistakes" though.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:23 PM United States

I bought 2 black velvet brother chins off Of Craig's list for 200$ with a decent cage and supply. Unfortunately the friendliest brother died from cancer about 6 weeks later. The older brother is doing good though. 300$ is way to much. During my search for my chins I came across a lot of over priced posts. Asking so much for a chin In a tiny cage. It's crazy. I'm sure the lady will go down in price once she realizes she's asking to much money
Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 PM United States

All chins deserve homes, wherever they come from 🙂

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 11-06-2016, 11:45 AM United States

Chinchillas: 6

CL isnt the issue. Its just the ppl that tend to use it. Theirs a higher probability that youll find ppl that dont know anything; keeping them in bad conditions, or back yard breeders. But it doesnt mean that you wont find good people there. And everyone in between.

- My second chin Sophie i got off craigslist.