Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Diet & Nutrition
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Diet & Nutrition Anything to do with the diet or nutrition of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 07-01-2018, 06:44 PM United States

Default Chin-safe treats

Hey guys, I've had my chin, Nimbus, for about a week now and have been using oats to get him to warm up to me. They work REALLY well with getting him used to being handled. Unfortunately, I'm worried I might be giving him too many, but I can't think of other ways to coax him to being handled. Are there any treats that chins love that I can feed a larger amount of and not worry too much about making him sick?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:29 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Oats should be given about one or two oats every few days at most, they are high in phosphorous and that requires calcium to digest, so they can cause issues if too many are given. Other safe treats are rose hips, a piece of a shredded wheat, a cheerio, and certain herbs and flower. Here is a good list and vendor of natural healthy treats, that also has feeding instructions for each.

Things that can be given more unlimited are hand feeding him his pellets, handing him hay (generally a different hay then you normally feed), some chins really like certain parts of the hay like the fluffy heads for example, you can also use small pieces of chew sticks or twigs.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze