Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Other Pets Forums > Other Pets General Topics
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Pets General Topics Post about your pets that aren't a chinchilla or a hedgehog here.

View Poll Results: Do you have hamster(s) as pet(s)?
Yes 11 50.00%
No 10 45.45%
Yes, in the near future. 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM Singapore
@chingary

Chinchillas: 2
Default Hamsters

Just wondering, how many of you guys have hamsters as pets too? And if you have hamsters, what are the colours of your hamsters?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM United States

I have two hamsters. One is a roborovski named Henny Penny. She's light brown with a white belly - standard for a roborovski. She's so tiny - and cute! She's really skittish and doesn't like human contact, so I pretty much just observe her. She's so fast! My other hamster was sold to me as a djungarian, but I believe she's a winter white. She was almost completely white when I first got her, with only a dark gray stripe down her back and some gray markings on her head, but as the weather got warmer, she changed colors. Now she's almost completely brown (except her belly - it's still white) and she still has the stripe down her back and the markings on her head. I thought I was seeing things at first - wondering why she looked like she had two little black eyes lol - then as she really started to change colors, I realized she must be a winter white! Anyway, her name is Pearl and she's very friendly - has been from the start. She's my girl.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM United States
ZooKeeper

Chinchillas: 1

I have two Russian Dwarf hammies. They are brothers, and live in a 45 gallon tank. They are super friendly, and come when I call to them...they know they are getting treats! Their names are Aragorn and Boromir.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 AM Singapore
@chingary

I've got a female normal winter white who's been with me for a year. Her name's Hay Hay as when we first got her, she was really munching down on a lot of hay. I mostly just observe the things she does in the cage as we made her a pretty big cage so there's a lot of things for her to do when she's active in the night. I'll just share with you guys a picture of the cage here.

It's actually an Ikea detolf which is meant to be placed vertically but we placed it horizontally. The furnitures in the cage are mostly hand made using wooden ice cream sticks except for the one on the right top and all the wood stick walking paths. The left side is filled with shavings and toilet rolls for her to hone her digging skills. The middle is filled with bathing sand for her to clean and groom herself. The right side is filled with bedding for her to sleep.

We got our inspiration from a German website which also made use of Ikea furnitures (detolf and expedit) to build an enclosure for their hamsters. (So if you're reading this, a big shout out to you.)

Just thought I'll share this on the forum for any hamsters owners out there who wants to provide a better place for their hamsters to live in.

Cheers.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 AM Canada

That cage looks epic!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 AM United States

Chinchillas: 3

Wow that cage is awesome!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM Singapore
@chingary

Thank you! Anyone interested in posting photos of their hamsters' cages as well?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM United States

I have hamsters! Eleven of my own and eleven fosters. I have 3 roborovskis, 3 russian dwarfs, and 5 syrians of my own and then all 11 of the the fosters are Syrian hamsters.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 PM United States

And apparently this is an old thread. Oops
Old 12-02-2013, 12:14 PM United States

Hedgehogs: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljiayi View Post
I've got a female normal winter white who's been with me for a year. Her name's Hay Hay as when we first got her, she was really munching down on a lot of hay. I mostly just observe the things she does in the cage as we made her a pretty big cage so there's a lot of things for her to do when she's active in the night. I'll just share with you guys a picture of the cage here.

It's actually an Ikea detolf which is meant to be placed vertically but we placed it horizontally. The furnitures in the cage are mostly hand made using wooden ice cream sticks except for the one on the right top and all the wood stick walking paths. The left side is filled with shavings and toilet rolls for her to hone her digging skills. The middle is filled with bathing sand for her to clean and groom herself. The right side is filled with bedding for her to sleep.

We got our inspiration from a German website which also made use of Ikea furnitures (detolf and expedit) to build an enclosure for their hamsters. (So if you're reading this, a big shout out to you.)

Just thought I'll share this on the forum for any hamsters owners out there who wants to provide a better place for their hamsters to live in.

Cheers.

Welcome little Natalia! We look forward a long, happy life with you.