Older Hedgehogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PpunkTheHedgehog

Hello, I am technically a first time hedgie owner, but I've had my little guy Ppunk for quite awhile now. I realized today that he is getting to be quite old, over 5 years. He's lived a very healthy life thus far, despite having a teenage first time owner who perhaps didn't always know what she was doing. :p He's never really had any major illnesses, no problem with dry skin (I'm picky with shampoo during baths) and as far as I'm aware has never had any mites. Even his poop has remained relatively healthy and unchanging, with a few times where it's gotten a slight green tint, but went back to normal before I even did anything. I took him to the vet not too long ago when I was having trouble with his nails, but she said despite his crankiness with new people he was very healthy.

I suppose my question is if there is anything to do for an already healthy older hedgehog just to make their life a little easier and perhaps longer and healthier. I've noticed he sleeps much more, and doesn't run on his wheel for hours straight but instead takes frequent breaks, or hardly runs on it at all. I've considered slowly introducing more wet food in his diet, incase his teeth slowly start to give way to his usual hard hedgie food.

As I'm sure you all have the same feelings for yours, but I adore my little guy. He's had a long life but I know I'll be devastated when he goes within the next few years. I've had lots of pets, but he has been really special to me while I made that awkward transition from bratty teenager to adulthood.

Sorry for the short essay post. Thanks for any input!

I also have an aging hedgehog. I am not sure how old she is, since I got her as a rescue, but I have had her for over three years now. It sounds like your hedgie is doing great, and you know how to care for him.

I don't think it would be necessary to add soft food into his diet if he isn't currently having tooth issues. I do give my hedgies baby food (their favorites are apples and chicken and sweet potatoes and turkey) a couple times a week for a treat. If you're concerned that it might be hard to switch him to a soft diet if needed you could try that to get him used to the texture difference.

I hope you and your hedgehog get many more happy years together!

I also have an aging hedgehog. I am not sure how old she is, since I got her as a rescue, but I have had her for over three years now. It sounds like your hedgie is doing great, and you know how to care for him.

I don't think it would be necessary to add soft food into his diet if he isn't currently having tooth issues. I do give my hedgies baby food (their favorites are apples and chicken and sweet potatoes and turkey) a couple times a week for a treat. If you're concerned that it might be hard to switch him to a soft diet if needed you could try that to get him used to the texture difference.

I hope you and your hedgehog get many more happy years together!

Really it is about awareness that they are aging. Keep a eye on food intake and weight, make sure neither is decreasing or it may indicate teeth issues. Also joints get a little worse for wear. I usually lower wheels, pad under if possible. Blindness and even deafness may even set in if it hasn't already. Approach them more slowly than normal and even blow some air in their general direction (not direct and just gently) to let them know you are about to pick them up otherwise you'll notice they may more easily get started than they once did.

Other than that, enjoy the time with them. They may be getting on in age but they can be absolutely wonderful as little old ladies and gentlemen, some even become more friendly and loving :)

Thanks for the tips guys :) I'll see about lowering his wheel or I think what I'll have to do is put something under it as sort of a walkway up, since I don't think it actually lowers itself. I am mostly worried about the possibility of his teeth getting bad in the future, as he is a very picky eater enough as it is, I don't want to be scrambling around to find something for him should that time come and have no idea what to get. He's been on the same food and the same worms since I first got him, and even other treats that I've seen hedgies online eat, he doesn't touch. (like carrots and things) I will consider baby food though, just to see what he will and won't eat. I'm sure it will all turn out great

Thanks!

Quinn was the same way, he only liked his one kibble and worms, that is all. He ended up loosing his teeth and when he began to have problems eating I started to moisten his kibble with water and that worked fine. A note though, until he got used to the extra water in his diet, he had very messy poops and was less able to control so there were messy accidents. I started giving him daily foot baths, one because he needed it now and also it allowed him to go to the bathroom before play and cuddle time.
When he could no longer chew his kibble at all I switched to wet food, the same kind as his kibble. He loved it.
For the worms, when he couldn't eat mealies anymore, I switched to wax worms, and when he couldn't eat those, I stopped the worms.
Quinn lived for over six years.

I'll have to see if Ppunk's food also makes wet food... I can't remember off the top of my head, I think it's called Pretty Pets Premium Hedgehog food. (I'm aware they can eat cheaper cat food as well, but I just picked up a bag of the same food he was eating when I got him, and like I said he is incredibly picky)

I haven't actually tried waxworms before, I got some on my way home and maybe it was because he wasn't hungry yet, but he had no interest in them! I hear that for most critters, waxworms are like a delicacy. A fattening delicacy hahah I'm hoping that perhaps he just wasn't hungry when I tried feeding him before, he seemed very interested in burrowing into my new scarf instead. :p

Back