When the previous owners want their chinchilla back

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered this too....I don't have a rescue, but I am adopting a chin from someone who is moving and can't take him to their new place. Then I was starting to think, what if they moveagain later and CAN have a chin and ask for him back?!? Maybe I just think too much! Sorry I didn't mean change the topic, I just had to vent my concern.

If you are adopting a chin from someone, they have no standings to ask for it back, esp if you are paying a fee for it. Possesion is 9/10ths the law, is the saying, and if they put an ad on Craigslist, and you take it, it is yours.

ETA: Unless, you sign a contract, and even then it is hard to get the animal back and costly.

I've taken a few rescues, some in good shape, well taken care of, and some sprayers, fur-chewers, and biters, too!
IMO, it would obviously depend if I still had their chin, what condition they were in when recieved, and if they were willing to pay $3 a day as a "sitting fee".
If they were of the problem variety when recieved, and I "cured" them of that, I believe I'd say they were adapted by someone else, to avoid problems! After all, they became that way from some kind of mistreatment, which I wouldn't let happen again!

I would probably have them go through the adoption process just like everyone else with no special consideration. I can't imagine someone's situation changing so drastically in the matter of a few months that they are completely unable to care for a relatively cheap pet, then suddenly 100% stable and on their feet. So I'm assuming this would be a year or more later IF the chin is even still at the rescue. After that long I would venture to say the chin doesn't remember them very well anyhow.

I agree. I wouldn't adopt back unless the reasons for the surrender was absolutely one in where there were no other options (loss of income or housing and can't provide care) and the situation has been corrected. If the chins came to me in a poor state or they were given up because the owner now has a puppy or something (this has happened) I would never adopt back.
We have had this situation unfortunately. They surrendered a standard because they could only have 1 chin and wanted a prettier one. That prettier one dies 6 months later, never got a real reason why, but all of a sudden they wanted chico back, because they missed him terribly. Yeah right, not happening. I'm sure they just went out and got another, but sometimes people don't surrender their chinchillas for the right reasons and don't deserve them back.

Well like most have mentionned. I do believe people have different levels of hardship and I am not one to judge, for we all have à different level of tolerance to hardship. I also believe some people do miss and have regrets of letting go of a furry friend, which ever kind it is.
I also believe that some are just plain.....soooo.

If you ever have to deal with a situation like this; I think that only you know how the chin came in and for which reasons.
You being in this domaine must have some type of people sense (sixth) and do the right thing.
And yes, adoption contract and fee is appropriate.;)

Back