Is plastic really "THE EVIL"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is plastic "Evil"?

• Total voters
To play devils advocate so to speak..

If fleece can be destoryed, shouldn't that be held to the same standards of plastic? A chin destorys it's fleece, eats it, you can have a chin with a blockage/dead just the same as with plastic....

I personally think we all need to learn that : ANYTHING has the potentional to be dangerous. Some more then others. IF we notice the start of a problem, remove it before it DOES become a problem. Plastic, Fleece, etc. You just need to pay attention...you have a chin that is constantly chewing the plastic, don't use it! Got a chin who may take a nibble here and there, but tends to leave it alone? Go ahead and give it a shot..but watch it.. Got a chin who chews millions of holes in fleece? Don't use it! Have a chin who doesn't seem to touch the fleece? Use it, but watch them!

Last edited:
Good call. I'm finished with fleece. My chins just shred it.

I would say fleece is still safe, because it is fairly chew-proof, and the chins are unlikely to swallow large pieces that can cause bowel blockages. And if they do happen to swallow a piece, there isn't a danger of a sharp edge cutting their intestines up. I use fleece hammocks and tubes, and have not found my chins chewing on it. They do seem to have an affinity for peeing on it though!

Like so many things, I think this one is a matter of personal preference and knowledge of your chinchilla. I don't use plastic, but I know people who have with fine results. I would say that if you do use something plastic and you notice any chew marks you shoudl remove it right away. Otherwise, it should be fine.

I would say fleece is still safe, because it is fairly chew-proof

Really?

Good call. I'm finished with fleece. My chins just shred it.

Fleece can easily be destroyed no problem. It just doesn't fray and the threads don't pull apart like most other fabrics.

Just playing devils advocate here.. Since most of you are concerned with chemicals in the plastic and fleece is made from plastic why are you not concerned about the chemicals in the fleece which is made from the plastic with all these chemicals?

I just put fleece in and my chin tore it up.
I def won't be doing that agian

I personally dont use fleece or plastic! Although I'm sure too much of anything can cause problems... right?

Really?

Just playing devils advocate here.. Since most of you are concerned with chemicals in the plastic and fleece is made from plastic why are you not concerned about the chemicals in the fleece which is made from the plastic with all these chemicals?

For me I watch to make sure the chins aren't eating the fleece. In terms of plastic, it isn't so much about the chemicals as it is getting an impaction from the plastic. Fleece can also cause an impaction, but plastic is bitten off in chunks where with fleece it seems that large chunks aren't bitten off at a time. That's the way I think about it at least. I would take fleece as well as plastic out of the cage if I saw either being chewed on, but you know, just for devils advocate sake I wanted to answer the question. ;)

In reference to the fleece, Doof is my most...Passionate chewer. Whenever something new comes into her cage, it's not a nibble to test it, it's "I'm declaring war." She will gnaw and gnaw and gnaw, and with her first hammock, she couldn't destroy it to save her life, got tired and fell asleep inside of it. She hasn't been able to successfully destroy fleece yet, so I think it's okay to be in her cage.

ETA: I did watch her to make sure she wasn't destroying or pulling off in chunks or anything. Everything was fine.

I think animals are like children. Some can have things that may be deemed as "unsafe" for others. Just like giving certain kids scissors....it's not a good idea.

I think it depends on the chinchilla. I mean, my older boy will chew pretty much anything, including the drywall, despite being surrounded by other wood-items. I think it also has to do with boredom. Keep them entertained, and you should be okay.

I would not risk anything plastic in a chins cage however i do know owners who have plastic cages and the chins are ok ,i would not risk it and i love to see the chins chewing on wood and wooden toys.

i personally have never had a problem with plastic in my cages. I honestly think most people make a bigger deal out of the whole plastic in the cage issue. That having been said, none of my cages now have plastic items in them simply because they seem to like the wooden and cardboard boxes/ shelves better and I don't want to take the risk. But I really don't care if other people do.

~B

Having watched a gerbil die a slow and horrible death from plastic ingestion many, many years ago, I have to say this question is a no-brainer.

If it's there, they will eventually chew it. If they chew it, they will eventually ingest it. If they ingest it, they will die.

Would you leave something potentially fatal within reach for your child? I think not. It's a risk, and the chin is the one who pays the price.

Like alot of people mentioned some chins chew alot and some don't so even though I never use plastic, I would have to say it would depend if your chin chewed it or not. When I let my guys out, chin-chin will chew on everything so i really have to be on my toes to stop him [yes he's in a room, but there are walls and i can't cover them..not meant to sound sarcastic] but when I let bo out, he just runs around and doesn't attempt to chew anything. And for my girls, Noel tends to chew too, but then Daisy doesn't, she's like Bo and just runs around. Personnally though I still wouldn't take the chance and put plastic in his cage because there are so many alternatives.

Jen

I would have to say that if you know your chin won't chew it and eat it, it's probably fine. Zumi came to me in a Super Pet cage with hard plastic shelves and soft plastic ramps and dish, plus a plastic igloo. I got rid of the igloo, but she lived in the cage for a few months while I saved up the money to buy her a new one. She's now got a HUGE metal cage, but I kept her dish because she doesn't chew on it and I suppose I just didn't feel like getting a new one. She also has a Silent Spinner wheel, but that plastic is much too hard for her to chew and ingest.

So, all I can say is, it's best to avoid it but if you already have some plastic and they don't chew it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, something real hard (like a Silent Spinner) really shouldn't be an issue because they won't be able to break it down with their teeth.

I think to often when "we" give our opinions we tend to be taken as the "CHINNIE POLICE".

When I got into chin the personI bought my first ones from told me plastic was not a good idea. When I got the next I was told chins that chew plastic may get sick from it.

Being an animal person I look out for my animals like ZI would hope others do. As I was researching I heard some stories about ingested plastic and decided that wood was for me.

I am not the chinnie police and will not tell you what to do. Do your own research on what can happen. THen make your own decisions. I will tell you this, if a lamb ingests a peice of grocery bag (I live across from walmart and have to do bag patrol daily) it will kill them in 24 hours and it has no sharp edges. Chinnies are smaller.

I am new to chins but the cage I bought for Felix has a wooden hidey thing (its really cool cause it can be attached to the sides of the cage off the ground!!!), he also has a wooden ledge and ramp.

So far he has shown absolutely no interest in chewing the plastic at all. He has PLENTY of wooden things to chew though. I am still and will always carefully monitor him though.

Back