Light tan vs. dirty bellied beige

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcr

So I'm conflicted at what to label this little guy (X1) I had born in Jan.

His dam is a hetero ebony.
His sire a pink white.

I originally labeled him as tan, but in reality I think he's just a very dirty bellied beige. Last week I had a true 'tan' (X9) born and there is such a difference between them. Here's some pictures to explain the difference. Thoughts?

X1
henry0124094-1.jpg

X9
X90408093-1.jpg

X1 belly shot
X1henry0411091.jpg

x9 belly shot
X90411094.jpg

X9 has more gray in his fur and a dark belly. X1 has a lighter belly but no defining between his belly and side.

Here's one more side shot of X1
Henry0407091.jpg

I'd consider him a light tan/pastel in my herd, and he would be considered a tan if shown, not a dirty bellied beige.

If you ever make it over to Ronda's in Hermiston, OR ask her to show you some different tans. I think she still may have a dirty bellied beige or standard around to show too. It looks different; the belly will still be white just off-tipped in certain places - but not the entire belly. There will still be a belly-gradient on the side.

X1's belly, neck and chin are the same even color, there's no definite line = Tan.

I actually found a picture of one, didn't breed many beiges. This little girl had an offcolor belly that cleared up with age. It's still a white belly, just tipped = dirty bellied Beige (or Brown Velvet, in this case) :))

Attachments

• DirtyBelky.jpg
    DirtyBelky.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thanks Spoof! I'll be sure to talk to Ronda at the MCBA show in a couple of weeks.:thumbsup:

I agree with Spoof, I would consider him a light tan.

Back