Are YOU buying?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought this year (ECBC Nationals) and plan on buying a few more. I currently don't have any rescues as I have more adopters than chins right now. That has not always been the case but its nice to have placed the rescues before I head up north.

I'm buying here. Hubby and I have a secure job. I am not worried in the least of either of us losing it. I've also switched my hours around so I do strictly weekends and every other Wednesdays. It completely cut the cost of daycare-I was shelling out $1500/mos in daycare alone. So I work 32 hour weekends-it's rough but definately doable.

I just bought several and after this bunch coming home in April I will be done for quite a while. Then it will be time for me to put them in breeding and making my own lines.

Jessica

I'm happy with my herd right now and as such don't plan on buying for quite some time, however if I see a must have animal, I will not pass it up.

I would in a heartbeat, but am unwilling to have additional cages in my house if/when they don't get along. Why can't chins be like some other critters and live & let live? :-/

I'm definitely buying. I'm hoping to purchase 10-15 more in the next year or so, but my problem is finding quality animals that fit my needs that aren't 12-18 hrs away from me. I can't have all my animals shipped in! I'm in need of either a standard v/c or black v/c male thats placed 1st or higher and has great density and clarity, and it seems, I can't find one! I guess I'm just gonna have to buy up at the shows.

Im so jealous!! I wish my rescues would find homes!! I don't know what it is with Calgary :wacko:

I am amazed as well.. I am thankful that Florida seems to be the place to finding good homes. I don't get many surrenders though and I think things seem to balance out somewhat. That might change though if the economy doesnt pick up a bit.

I am definitely still buying whenever I find an animal that looks like it will fit well into my small breeding program. I will say that I haven't been selling nearly as much in the last year or so. I am pretty sure this is due to the economy. In any case slowly but surely my program is moving forward.

~EBB

I havent been buying AS much, but being a breeder there isnt much of a way to get around needing to add in more stock on occasion. Ive actually been trying to do more even trades than anything & will be trading two of my girls for two new males for breeding. For supplies, i have also been trying to make my own things or buy in bulk. AS of right now, im not too concerned with any newbies as i've just recently "restocked" my herd a little.

Hard times or not, lines still need fresh starts, just maybe not as many all at once & they need food, toys, etc.

As for selling, i havnet had quite a boom this year like the past years, but i havent seen too much of a decrease in sales other than that.

Last edited:
I added a few new this spring but I am to the point where I am just focusing on particular lineage and certain colors, so other than needed a very specific outcross I do not do much buying anymore or selling , I just keep alot of my babies. I am selling a bunch now because wanting a couple tans in my breeding line has given be an abundance of them :)

I'm still buying and selling..... it just seems to go in waves, like I'll have a good month and then 2 bad ones, etc...

I added a girl in February and may pick up one at York if I fall absolutely in love but really I am trying to sell and not bring anything else in until we close on our house just because it is easier to move less animals and nothing is really moving sales wise in my area.

Back