Ranch names vs non-ranch names

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread got me thinking about the brand issue again and I sent another email. I'm wondering if my last one didn't get through, because it was in August. I'm kind of glad this came up! Don't want this causing any issues.
:)

It is quality, the name doesn't mean anything if the animal is not good quality. If I see a great animal it won't matter if they are a breeder with 1 pair or 10,000 animals. A good chinchilla is a good chinchilla

Just like if it has a pedigre does not mean it should be bred.....

If you have a name you can build a reputation (hopefully good), If you see a chin from Shoots or Jags lines or another known ranch you can make an assumption about the quality. But there is no substitute for looking at the animal and knowing what you are looking at.

I would buy from anyone without a ranch name IF I liked the animal. That said, the animal must have a solid pedigree of some sort. Should problems crop up I want to be able to trace it...I don't care if you use your last name...or just a number/letter combination...as long as I can track health issues then I don't care. I would not buy a GSC and use it in my herd if I did not know anything about it's ancestry (especially in regards to health issues)

I think as long as it came from a pedigree with your name (or if you come up with a ranch name) on it.... then that would be fine!

Back