How do you define a "rancher"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Starry Night

I would just like to know what everyone's definition of a "rancher" is, animals, quality, knowledge, number of animals, ect. And if you consider yourself a rancher and why.....

This question came to me when I was searching through the sales section and found someone that calls themself a "ranch" but has wayyyyy less than 60 animals, and to me should not be calling themself a rancher.

It seems the exact opposite, they don't appear to think much about safety, breeds rescued animals, and appears to make up their own ranch brands :|.....

It just made me really curious as to what others consider a rancher...

I saw on someone’s website that you only needed 3 to be considered a ranch. I think of a rancher as someone that makes a profit. Not necessarily as a full time operation, but does more than break even.

ETA: I looked at the persons site not sure about the certification, but the site says the chinchilla certification program is considered a ranch w/ 2 chins.

Last edited:
that is sad... any random person with 2 chinchillas can call themself a ranch :|.

If you have a ranch brand with either of the associations you're considered a ranch in their eyes. :))

In general to me a rancher is:

Someone who has been in chinchillas for quite some time. Pelts their animals, or has pelted in the past. They don't need a HUGE amount of animals- There have been breeders who at their lowest points had just about 100 females in breeding, that I personally still considered a ranch. There is another that has about 60, actively pelts, and I consider them a ranch too.

Granted, this is just my personal opinion. Other peoples opinions may differ. Doesn't make me right, doesn't make me wrong. Doesn't make them wrong or right, either.

Edited to add:

I do not consider myself a ranch, but a hobby breeder. I do attend shows, I do breed animals to "better". However, I do not pelt nor have ''alot of chins''. I do have a "ranch brand", though.

Last edited:
A rancher is just what the name implies. A rancher breeds for the betterment of the species, a rancher sells breeding stock and a rancher supplies the finished product to the market, which is a pelt. There are large ranches and small ranches. Many of the smaller ranchers supply some of the best pelts around. I guess I would say someone who breeds and sells stock only is a breeder and a rancher is one who does it all. To me a rancher is involved in all aspects of the industry.

I'm going to disagree with part of Vicki/Bob's comment. I don't think a rancher HAS to work with pelts to be a rancher.

To me a rancher is someone who raises chins as a business, opposed to as a hobby. If you have 100 chins, but run your breeding like a hobby, not a business then to me you are not a rancher.

By definition a rancher is one who owns or manages a ranch, and technically a ranch is considered a large farm or land that is dedicated to raising on kind of animal or product ( including fruit! ). So technically "rancher" is a misnomer. "Breeder" is technically someone who raises stock, in this case chins. Anyone who puts two animals together is a "breeder". I think of a rancher as someone who is serious about breeding, whether they pelt or not, and runs their business as a business. I consider myself a rancher, this is a business, it's my income, it's on my taxes, etc.

Of course there is no technical description of what makes a ranch, a ranch for chinchillas, so you have chose what you believe.

I have 3 chins, a old work truck and live in a 1200 sq. ft. rancher soo Yay for me, I'm a rancher and my husband is a ranch hand......goes to make up business cards, add to resume.

My family are ranchers. SOme branches small and some large. I am not a chin rancher though. To me a "ranch needs to be self supporting in some way. For instance:

My parents are sheep ranchers. They raise sheep, sell the offspring in the summer. That money goes to pay land taxes, irragation, hay, pellets, grain, ect. ect..

I raise a few chins. The money that I make from selling babies.........well when I sell babies.LOL, goes to pay my bills but it is not by a long shot what I would call income. (If that makes any sense)

To me a ranch is a way of support. My Uncle and Aunt have 2 LARGE ranches. They are both a means of financial suppot.

I agree with Nicole, I think of a chinchilla rancher as someone who makes a living out of raising chinchillas. I usually associate pelting with ranching, but do not define it that way.

The rest of us who raise chinchillas in our spare time, are hobby breeders. We may be lucky to break even financially speaking, but for the most part, raising chins is an expense rather than actual income.

I agree with Nicole, I think of a chinchilla rancher as someone who makes a living out of raising chinchillas. I usually associate pelting with ranching, but do not define it that way.]

Does it have to be a full time occupation, though? I know a lot of the larger ranchers must have outside jobs along with the chis to support a herd and still be able to pay bills/mortgage/feed a family. With the pelt market not being the highest right now, I don't see how a chin herd, no matter how large, can be enough income to live on.

No, just large enough of an occupation to claim it on your taxes and get the farming credits. A lot of people have two jobs to make ends meet, ranchers aren't any different. ;)

Back