cake walk wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Robinm1922

Hi I just came across a web site that advertises these has anyone gotten one?
I have a large wheel that is plastic and it working but it is a pain to clean and sometimes he tips it over.
Just wondering what wheel everyone likes or would recommend?
Thanks,
Robin

Hi I just came across a web site that advertises these has anyone gotten one?
I have a large wheel that is plastic and it working but it is a pain to clean and sometimes he tips it over.
Just wondering what wheel everyone likes or would recommend?
Thanks,
Robin
I found the link to the website that sells them. They are sold by a member here on C&H. (I wrote C&Q and went back to change it! lol...) Contact Reaper... he's the one.

I use a comfort wheel and I attach it with a spring to the cage and I attach the wheel to the base by a zip tie. It works...but it's a pain to get out of his current cage!

ETA: I'm pretty sure that Reaper is a mod on Hedgehog Central

Last edited:
I tried one of the cake walks. Chuck was kind enough to send one for the girls to try out. The wheel is very easy to clean and is easily assembled and taken apart for transport. It is also very quiet since it uses a skate for a bearing.

However I don't know if Chuck has made any changes to the design since then (it was a while ago), but Rose actually made the wheel sag. She is a big girl though. Unfortunately neither of my girls would use the wheel. You may have better luck though. My girls seem to be spoiled with their spool wheels made by Vern Mills. In case you don't know what those are, I have the 12" version but you can see the smaller one at Beach Bum Hedgehog's webpage http://beachbumhedgehogs.com/supplies.html for the spool wheel.

I have tested the wheel to over 1000 grams but the plastic will flex. The more weight the more flex. This is good for non impact to the joints but the running can be bouncy with a heavier hedgie. Attaching the wheel to a cage wall instead of using the stand can reduce the bounce. My heaviest test pilot weighs 600 grams and all I hear are hedgie feet. My smaller girl weighs 450 grams and she can really get the wheel bouncing. But still I only hear her feet on the wheel.

I tried one of the cake walks. Chuck was kind enough to send one for the girls to try out. The wheel is very easy to clean and is easily assembled and taken apart for transport. It is also very quiet since it uses a skate for a bearing.

However I don't know if Chuck has made any changes to the design since then (it was a while ago), but Rose actually made the wheel sag. She is a big girl though. Unfortunately neither of my girls would use the wheel. You may have better luck though. My girls seem to be spoiled with their spool wheels made by Vern Mills. In case you don't know what those are, I have the 12" version but you can see the smaller one at Beach Bum Hedgehog's webpage http://beachbumhedgehogs.com/supplies.html for the spool wheel.

Have either of your girls got their nails caught in the mesh? I have heard of a few instances of that happening and people having to line the wheel with craft foam to prevent it.

I've had no issues with the mesh and nails. I was afraid of that problem too. I had read horror stories. I was on the phone with Standing Bear at the Flash and Thelma one night and started asking him questions about the spool wheels and with my concerns and needs for Rose. He's used mesh wheels for many years and recommends them for the larger hedgehogs. After talking to him I decided to give it a shot. I needed a bigger wheel for Rose (she was almost rubbing her nose on the bucket wheel). She went from not running at night to running like a wild woman.

The cross bars have posed no problems at all. In fact when the hedgehog gets off the wheel moves back to where they are parallel to the floor allowing for easy access.

The other cool thing. Poptart pees and poops on her wheel making a nasty poo slurry. With the mesh it all falls through. I had to give her weekly bathes before as she would stink. Not anymore, her feet are rarely ever dirty.

Back