Typical "what cage" questions...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kiah-Muz

I know about every person asks this- but I was hoping to get some advice due to my home's environment for my little guy. Different scenarios can change a lot. :)

Ok... on our last stage of finally giving Kiah the care he deserves (from all my learning on here :thumbsup: ), I can now use my new job paychecks (woo) for a new cage. So I am open to spend the necessary amount for a REAL cage. For those who may not remember, Kiah has been in a temp/converted ferret cage that's 24 X 24 after realizing the true problems of the metal-bottom cage Kiah's breeder gave me. So he needs some more space.

Here's the enviroment- we're in Illinois, so it's still a bit cold. We've been using a space heater since Kiah attempted to hibernate in November. I could go out and get a ceramic heater (depending on the cage) but that's what we have right now. Also, our apartment is rather small- and I'd rather not have Kiah's cage on the floor- would a C & C cage help if we structured it to be of the ground to the exact size/shape we want or other ideas? Lastly, we have liners (thanks to nancy) that is 24 X 24... maybe a little bigger... so I guess that affects things (though I don't mind order more liners to give Nancy business- hehe. Oh and easier access as always :) my short arms can only dive so far from the top of Kiah's temp cage.

Oh... I did forget something. Some may know of my jokes when it comes to Kiah's outhouse. Well he doesn't use it anymore since we got the liner *grumble*... and the thing take up about 10 X 5 inches of the cage- should I just try to move on to a corner litter pan? I don't think I could fit something under his Silent Saucer....

whew. I think that's it. Sorry I haven't been on here lately.... crazy new job has been eating away my life. And I know about everyone get's asked this question on here- but I couldn't help it. After writing all this out, I'm guessing a C & C cage would be the best bet- but I would really like suggestions. A lot in one entry- I really appreciate any help and will do whatever I can to help my little guy.... maybe with a new cage, he'll be less of a punk... o_O

I have a C&C cage that I have sitting on a little side table that's about 2/3 the sized of the cage, exactly as wide, just not as long. I added extra "cubes" to make legs, so I have storage under it. It worked for me, because there's a little shelf thing on the table, and a drawer, and then I have space in front. Where I am I can't find the 12 x 12 cubes, only 15 x 15. If you get the 15 x 15 you'll deffinately need new liners. i would wait and see where he goes in the new cage before deciding on a litter box, or just use paper towels. 2 of mine won't pick a spot, and Lily gets off her wheel to go. I keep the paper towels extra thick under her wheel. Sorry, can't help with the heat issue. Don't have that problem, the whole house is warm enough here. Good luck

Thanks for the advice!

C&C maybe the way to go.... *ponders*

I also have a C&C cage, I used the vinyl cubes though from Target, this way he couldn't get stuck in the bars. Mine is 2 cubes wide by 4 long, it is huge and so easy to clean. With the vinyl cubes it doesn't allow for a lot of air to rush through the cage creating a chill. I have a heating pad under one corner and he seems to be very comfy with this cage

Oh... I did forget something. Some may know of my jokes when it comes to Kiah's outhouse. Well he doesn't use it anymore since we got the liner *grumble*... and the thing take up about 10 X 5 inches of the cage- should I just try to move on to a corner litter pan? I don't think I could fit something under his Silent Saucer....​

Have you tried putting the saucer on a baking pan? Maserati wouldn't use the corner litter pan except to dig in, but then I put her wheel on an aluminum pan and put the litter in the pan under the wheel, and she started to use the litter pan regularly (after over 8 months of trying the corner pan)! I'm not sure if that would work with a saucer (or Kiah), but it's an idea... :) Good luck with the new cage!

Thanks for the responses everyone!

pnp- I'm not tooo worried about Kiah getting a chill due to the location the current cage is in.... however, I want to make sure the heat from his space heater works. The space heater does a decent job, so I only want to repace it with something else if I have to...

Lucks-
that is a great idea! Though I think I may just go buy a new (small!!!) baking pan since I think I only have 2... (by the time of other wedding, I'll be rolling in baking pans now- haha) Thanks for the advice

Ok... I'm going to draw up a plan tonight and building starts Monday- haha. Also- some plans for a decent ramp onto a second level?

Back