Hedgie Bonding Pouch Alternative?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorganGibby

Okay, so i've been looking at various bonding pouches for hedgehogs so I can be prepared when I bring mine home in a few weeks. Instead of spending money on a pouch, I was wondering if I could just use an old purse I have here at home? I don't know if it needs to be fleece lined or not, and if it does is it possible to line the purse? :hmm:

I find it easiest to just sit with my little ones in my hands/in my arms/on my tummy. My Satin used to paw at the edge of my t-shirt until she could get under it and sit directly on my belly.

Given your little one will be new to you, I might add something like a small fleece blankie (can something simple like a fleece remnant cut to a size you like or extra fancy with multiple sewn layers) so s/he can hide under it from scary things like lights. I wouldn't necessarily want a pouch/purse in which I'd carry my new little one around - all that movement might be scary at first. Plus, you want him/her to get to know your scent - that might be blocked in something like a purse.

Hedgehogs don't like change and don't adjust well to it. Aside from its cage, playtime with you and vet visits you really shouldn't bring him/her out. They are also very responsive to temperature changes and can actually die from cold, so keeping him/her in their enclosure or home with a solid temperature is critical to their health. They need to have temperatures between 74-80. I don't think taking them out of the house unless you absolutely must is in their best interest.

Purses could have loose threads that your hedgie could get their little feet caught on and that could break their feet. Letting them snuggle in a fleece blanket is ideal if you don't want to purchase a hedgie bag. :)

I'm sewing snuggle/bonding bag right now. It has a plastic liner so it will be wind and water proof. It is also big enough for a SnuggleSafe disk to be put in there. So we can go for trips during the day and I wont have to worry about her warmth.

If you just have a purse, sew a fleece liner into it. This way, Hedgie-baby stays warm and comfy. Purses by themselves would not seem comfortable to me. :p

If $$ is tight, just buy a polar fleece remnant (should only be $1 or $2 dollars) and wrap up baby in that while you sit and snuggle. Keep baby close to your body and she can get used to your smell and you can get used to her quills.

A purse wouldnt let her get used to your hands on her quills, and if she should poop or pee in there sounds like a mess to fully clean. I'd say NO to a purse.

Back