Wheel for a Giant Hedgie?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stormyhogs

My girl, Fiona, is nearly 8 months old now, and doing great with her one eye by the way.. Anyways, she is huge, I haven't weighed her lately, but she's pushing 600+ grams. The breeder said all of her cinnacots are absurdly large (8-900g). She uses a Comfort wheel right now, but is looking too big for it now, her back is getting pretty close to the middle bar thing that sticks out, and her nose nearly touches the front as she runs.
I would like to get her a bigger wheel, but I am not sure what one is the best/biggest? Hedgehog's By Vickie has a Hefty Hedgehog wheel, but some of them seem a bit wobbly. Has anyone ever used one of those before, or does anyone know of any that are large/sturdy enough? I don't really have the time to build my own. Please and thanks :)

Maserati outgrew her Comfort wheel, too. I got her a bucket wheel - mine is a Chet wheel. It is wonderful! It has held up really well, is easy to clean, offers her plenty of room, and can be turned up/down and sideways which is nice for fitting and allowing the hedgie to have the right "slant". It takes up more space in the cage than the Comfort wheel but is well worth it IMO.

I know some folks are making "cakewalk" wheels. They're much like your standard bucket wheel, but instead of the standard 11" bucket, they're made with one of those big plastic things that cover up a cake.

i use a silent spinner and my girls (and my boy too) love it. there is no middle spoke to rub on their back and the wheel is a 12 or 13 inch diameter.

i use a silent spinner and my girls (and my boy too) love it. there is no middle spoke to rub on their back and the wheel is a 12 or 13 inch diameter.

I had one of these... and let me tell you something!
My hedgehog ended up catching one of his toes in the little slot in the middle of the wheel. 3 x-rays, pain medications, antibiotics, 2 trips to the vets, and $600 later we found out that he was lucky... didn't break his foot or anything, but mangled his toe and the nail pretty bad.

People had told me that the wheel wasn't safe. But I thought "that hole is so small...no way he could hurt himself on that". I felt horrible for having Spiny go through that just because I wouldn't listen to people more experienced than I was.

I haven't heard many good things about the (no so) Silent Spinner. There is a discussion about wheels here. I think most people prefer the bucket wheels, but some also use the flying saucers or large comfort wheels. For a "fluffier" hedgie, though, a big bucket wheel is probably your best option. I haven't heard of the cakewalk wheels, but that might be interesting to look into. :)

I'm from the chin side, but I don't see why one of the chin spins from quality cage wouldn't work - they're solid and 15 inches, I believe!

Back