Newbie calling out the oldies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blunt:
Wife: How's my husband?
Doctor: He's dead.

Rude:

Doctor: He's dead, you stupid moron. What do you expect after he got his head caught airplane's rotor-blades? You're idiot!

Blunt is to be straight forward, where as rude is to be impolite,crude or improper.

Tunes- Just about 2000 members :) And just about half the staff that we have here. And they are not like cotton candy, but they do realize how to speak kindly to others.

Blunt:
Doctor: He's dead.

Rude:

Doctor: He's dead, you stupid moron. What do you expect after he got his head caught airplane's rotor-blades? You're idiot!

Blunt is to be straight forward, where as rude is to be impolite,crude or improper.

Eh, I meant rude but was too lazy to change it in the first place so decided to point out that they can sound similar in text.

And, I'm out, not coming back to this thread, same reason I didn't post on it in the beginning. It's like putting a "kick me" sign on your back. Not worth it.

Last edited:
newbie here

I have been on this forum not that long..I have to admit at first I was a little standoffish and was afraid to ask a question concerning one of my chins so I had another member ask for me...The information was posted and I read and did what was suggested...I too was afraid of being "yelled at" but now not so much..when it comes down to it the info here is wonderful..The chin that was gravely ill is now doing so much better...Then a couple of weeks ago I had a chin attack another one and she too is doing better thanks to the advice given..and yes sometimes people do come off a little strong but they are only trying to help people with their issues concerning their pets..I just want to say thanks for helping me save the lives of 2 of my 8 chins...:thumbsup:

Eh, I meant rude but was too lazy to change it in the first place so decided to point out that they can sound similar in text.

I think mainly because this forum, even though people as young as 14 can join, expects people to behave as adults and not get pissy because someone was blunt with them. This is not school, you are not paying for this service, and we do not care about your self-esteem. We care about the well-being of the animal in your care, not someone's fragile ego. If you want someone to sugarcoat everything, there are vets that will do that and charge you an arm and a leg for it.
I have been to other forums... They are so sweet that they advocate dangerous practices because "accidents don't happen to everyone." Once again, I would rather have a blunt, "Don't do that," than a sappy "You might not want to, but people have before and been ok."

It seems there are a lot of "extremes" being pointed out here. Apparently, either people who try to be nice and "sugarcoat" don't know what the **** they're doing, OR people who tell it like it is are blunt a-holes. Period. End of story.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's certainly not what I've implied. To everyone who talked about having the "mean" doctors who ultimately helped them out over the others, I've had doctors with no bedside manner that frankly should be in a different line of work. If I'm having serious health concerns I don't want them thrown at me. But I don't want them tiptoed around either. I thankfully have yet to encounter a "sweet" healthcare professional who was a complete and inefficient moron (though I have met many "rude" ones that were). My point is, people can present facts/suggestions to help others and be gracious about it. People who are considered blunt can provide a lot of feedback. It goes both ways.

Yeah, there are a lot of members here. But not all of them post questions either--some of them read the answers to questions others have had the initiative or courage to ask. I've read so many posts now of people (many of them newbies) saying they were afraid to inquire about something for fear of ridicule--legitimate or not-- I've lost count. I used to be one of those people. Then I realized, "Screw it. None of these people have ever even laid eyes on me. If I get laughed at I can ignore them." Or report it, as mentioned. Although, someone said personal attacks are not allowed on here. I've read more than one thread that would beg to differ.

Courage to post a question on the internet in a chinchilla forum? If someone needs to have courage for that then I hate to see what real life does to them.

The person who started this post has a terminal disease. She is a customer of mine and what people posted on here after really upset her. She posted trying to get people to think before they treat someone unkindly not for controversy. People do not realize how much a cruel post can affect someone. It does not take that much extra effort to treat people in a decent manner.

Last edited:
The person who started this post has a terminal disease. She is a customer of mine and what people posted on here after really upset her. She posted trying to get people to think before they treat someone unkindly not for controversy. People do not realize how much a cruel post can affect someone. It does not take that much extra effort to treat people in a decent manner.
I've stayed out of this thread because no matter how much the position is argued, it is not going to change how people perceive what they read.

At this point it has all been said, so I'm putting this thread to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back