What do you use for heat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xwhateverx92

What do you use to heat your hedgie's cage?

Annie's cage is a sterilite bin...what would be best?

My mom likes the house kept at a lower temperature than I know hedgies should be at. (she's going through menopause and even believes winters in MI are warm)
I've tried using my SnuggleSafe but that doesn't seem to work well, and Annie doesn't really go on it.
Would it be safe to use a heater underneath her cage- with it being plastic?

Thanks for the help.

You can use a human heating pad wrapped in a towel and set on low under the bin. It has to be on 24/7. You can't turn it off when there is nobody home.

Ok, cool.
Should I put it underneath her igloo, or more out in the open area of her cage?

Thanks so much for your help, Nancy. :)

Is it dangerous to use a human heating pad and keep it on ALL the time?

I am thinking about making Annie a C&C cage and getting a ceramic reptile heater. Just trying to figure it all out.

Ok, cool.
Should I put it underneath her igloo, or more out in the open area of her cage?

Thanks so much for your help, Nancy. :)
I have a rescue in a large in and put the human heating pad under the center of the cage. Her igloo is at one end, wheel the other and being in the middle seems to keep the whole cage at 74. You'll have to experiment with where it works best.

Many hedgie people use human heating pads and they are on 24/7 year round. Buy a brand new one. What goes wrong with heating pads is the constant flexing and bending when humans lay on it or use it. Buy a brand name good quality one. In this case, cheap is not the way to go. Make sure the one you get does not have auto shutoff.

Back