How do you turn a Ferret Nation Cage into a Hedgehog Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm want to do the same thing for Aiko, I know your supposed to put walls along the ramps so they don't fall off the sides, but I don't really know how to go about doing this.

Well, what I did (I have two of the model 142 FNs) is change out the floor and add barriers. The cage pan that comes with the cage is slightly smaller than the inside of the cage and hedgehogs can get their feet caught. I managed to get away with using the pan for about 1 year before Cuda managed to get his foot caught. Luckily, he was without injury. I went out the next day and bought a piece of coroplast to fit in the floor and we haven't had issues since.

For the barriers on the main level, I just cut coroplast to fit and few/tape it on. Put the coroplast on the inside to discourage any climbing and your cage is instantly baby safe.

If you're going to keep the second level in, put it at the lowest possible setting so the ramp is at the lowest degree of incline possible. Fully enclose the ramp and the level, and you should be good to go. The ramp can be fully enclosed by arching hardware cloth over it, using a plastic tube or adding walls that the hedgehog can't climb.

*Lisa* on here has great photos of how she modified her FN.

So instead of using the pan, can I just stick some linoleum down, and cover that in a liner?

I have a Ferret Nation but I have not added in the second level yet.

Some ideas are to arch a plastic canvas over the ramp, and use a metal grid to block off the second level. I give credit to Nancy for the plastic canvas idea. She suggested it to me when I asked bout the FN. Speaking of Nancy, she makes her liners a bit bigger than what you ask(for shrinking I assume) but I find that great for tucking the liners in under the pan for at least the first month. After that, you best bet is coroplast.

Thanks for everyones help!!
But I have another question: How would you arch the plastic canvas over the ramp?

Back