Repti500 thermostat question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsdothehedgie

I just set up my ceramic heat emitter with thermostat and am wondering where and how I should attach the the little temp reader thing(sorry not sure what it is called) that is on the thermostat. I'm assume it has to be placed inside but I'm worried that he might bite on it or something lol.

I assume you mean the probe? Thing is an okay description, I knew what you meant. ;)

It totally depends on the hedgehog. Some will bug with it if it is down at floor level. Others won't care in the least.

I use the heat emitter setup for rescues. I put heavy clear plastic on the outside covering the back of the cage. This helps prevent drafts and holds the heat in. I attach the probe right where the plastic base meets the wire top. It sort of hangs down the plastic a bit. I've yet to have anyone give it more than a sniff and most don't even notice it. Twist ties will work well to attach it.

To set up the temperature, get everything set up and your emitter attached to the top of the cage. Put a thermometer on the floor of the cage in line with the emitter and get your temperature set from there. Then you can move the thermometer up beside the probe.

Plexiglass would work but the clear heavy plastic is much cheaper. I use the plastic that is sold by the yard. It comes on a roll and they cut it off by however much you need. There are various thicknesses and I use one of the thicker ones. I use those black binder clips to hold it on but clothespins will work as well. The plastic is sold at fabric stores like Fabricland, Joannes and any of the Walmarts that still have fabrics.

If you find the cage difficult to keep at temp, you can also put the plastic over an end or both ends. :)

Back