Maxi Pads on Wheels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsdothehedgie

Not too long ago I posted an ad on CL asking people where they got thier hedgies and if they were satisfied with the overall experience with their breeder/vender. A woman e-mailed me offering to sell her 2 year old hedgehog to me. One thing she mentioned was that she puts maxi pads on her wheels to help with clean up. Does anyone else do this? I thought it was an interesting idea.

It's a whole eaiser to buy a good wheel that's easy to clean. Changing the maxi pad daily would get pricey fast.

There is too much risk of hedgie getting a nail caught in the pad and ending up with a broken leg. Plus, to do a suitable sized wheel it would take about 3-4 pads per night and yes, it would get pricey.

Cleaning a wheel does not take very long, probably no longer than it would to change the pads.

Weekly? EWWWW. I cannot imagine how nasty Cooper's wheel would be if I didn't clean it daily. No wait, I can imagine it, and it isn't pretty or for that matter a healthy picture. Maybe if you have a rare clean hedgehog (I have one now), but for the normal hedgehog, absolutely no way.

I have received a couple of hedgehogs with their wheels over the years for which I have wondered if their prior owners did clean their wheels. In fact I have thrown away the last two wheels I received as they simply could not be cleaned. I let one of them sit in full strength vinegar solution for several days, before admitting defeat.

People have tried lots of things. I know a couple who swear by using plastic wrap (the kind that has a sticky side). Others use self sticking craft foam. Again they all get nasty, and must be replaced. It just all seems like a waste and some of them definitely have potential dangers associated with them.

I'll stick to my method. Spray with a water/vinegar solution, let sit, spray with water and use a vegetable/finger nail brush if needed. This has worked very well for me over the years.

Back