wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hi there,
Well right now Aiden has a homemade bucket wheel, which he loves and is easy to clean and quiet, but I need a second wheel for when I go away because his current wheel is hard to attach to the cage and a little difficult to get off and on proberly, so i figured it would be easy to get a wheel that stands by itself and is easy to clean and quiet, this would jsut be a "vacation" type of wheel only really used for when he is being hedgie sat by someone. I know the 2 commercially available safest wheels are the comfort wheel and the flying saucer, so which one do you think is the best? Im opting for the flying saucer( biggest size) but im just curious as to the pros and cons of each wheel.
Thanks,
Tessa

Honestly you are best off to have a stand up bucket wheel as your spare as well. The comfort wheel is a major pain (because it breaks and makes horrible noises). The flying saucer is okay but it a completely different running style so having your hedgie switch might be problematic (they have to run at a different angle which some don't seem interested in doing).

The Comfort wheel can be noisey and as a vacation wheel, probably not the best idea. It's also difficult to clean.

The Flying Saucer does make them run differently and long term it could cause joint problems. As a vacation wheel, the amount used would not be harmful. The Flying Saucer is silent and very easy to clean. As April mentioned, not all hedgehogs will run on a flying saucer but I think it might be worth trying. You could give it to him prior to vacation to see if he will use it.

Why not make a stand for his current bucket wheel. I can give you directions on making a stand.

I have the comfort wheel (even though Spiny passed away) and I never really thought it was that bad in terms of noise. But then again, I've never had a bucket wheel to compare it to.

To clean, I would just fill up the bathtub and put the wheel face down and add a bit of soap and let it soak. I would have to wash the tub out afterwards... but that wasn't a huge deal.

Thanks Everyone for your replies.!
the problem isnt really that his wheel doesnt stand up on its own, it is difficult to clean properly unless you know how too...so I just need something that will work until i can afford another bucket wheel or preferably a Carolina storm wheel, im looking for soemthing that would most likely be used for a maximum of 10-12 days just over Christmas, something less noisy and easy to clean but also something that will not hurt Aiden, I will not be using the store wheel again unless it is an emergency t, it is really just an emergencie wheel until i can get my carolina storm wheel, So would the flying saucer be acceptable and would the comfort wheel be okay? ( also my grandmother is watching him so id like something easy for her to clean and not too noisey)
Nancy- A stand would be a good idea for later, yes id love it if you could please send me directions!
Thanks!,
Tessa

Back