Heating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hello,
Does a hedgie need an extra heat source all year round or is it just in the cooler months??Because some people have told me its only in the cooler months while others say they need it all the time, so im not quite sure.
Thanks,
Tessa

It depends on the temperature of your house. If you have air conditioning on during the warm months then yes, it is likely you will need to provide some heat, especially if you like to have the a/c turned down cool.

You may find even without a/c that come August, you will need heat over night. I've had the heat on in our hedgie room for the past two night because it is going down so cool at night.

I always have a low temp heating pad under half of the sleeping chamber for my hog so she can choose when she needs more warmth in the summer. She moves her pigloo on and off the heated area depending on what she needs. In the winter I use the heater and leave the heating pad. I hope this helps :).

Agreed - you need to be able to provide heat year round.

It's dipped into the low to mid 70s in my house overnight (a/c was not on) and I've found that the thermostats attached to my little ones' heat emitters had kicked them on. Satin was actually chilled two nights ago and had a cool belly when I got her up in the morning... had to up the temp in her cage.

Back