GI stasis in rabbits and rodents

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can someone clarify or convert this:

"therefore application of simethicone (65-130 mg/animal po q 1h) is recommended to reduce abdominal discomfort associated with excess gas. "

what actually is the proper dosage of simethicone??? If I notice gas bubbles, I give .05 - 1 cc one to two times per day.

also

The importance of analgesia to a rabbit or rodent recovery cannot be overstated. It relieves discomfort associated with gastrointestinal stasis, resulting in a more active animal that starts eating sooner and in turn accelerates reactivation of gastrointestinal motility. Meloxicam (0.2-2mg/kg po, sc q 24h), and carprofen (2-5mg/kg po, sc q 24h) are frequently used NSAID. Flunixin meglumine (0.3-2.0mg/kg po, im, iv q 12-24h) is also well tolerated, although it can produce gastric ulcers in some species, thus it should not be given longer than three days. Spasmoanalgesics (0.5-1mg/kg butylscopolamine sc q 12-24h) should be careful used since reduced gastrointestinal motility can result, but have shown good results in combination with a gastrointestinal motility stimulans (metoclopramide 0.2-1.0mg/kg po, sc q 6-8h) when mechanical obstruction were excluded.

what are the medicines they are discussing: I know Meloxican is Metacam, but what is the Flunixin & butylscopolamine & metoclopramide (cisapride???)

Sorry, I just really like to know the best treatment in the event this happens. I keep some meds on hand but always like to be educated and provide my vet with the best course of action. thanks!

Last edited:
Flunixin is a NSAID also called Banamine, its like metecam. Buscopan, the Butylscopolamine, is specifically used to control pain in the digestive tract-I was offered it but decided against it since it can slow intestinal contractions and needs to be used with the motility drugs, I was told it was a risk but the pain relief was very good.

Back