Is this cage okay for my hedgie? + questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

camilam

This is my hedgie Espin, hes quite big :p
2iih63t.jpg

Anyways I just bought him this new cage, do you think its ok for him? Also please tell me if he needs anything else.
33wqzuw.jpg

And also some questions about the cage:
1. This is his first wheel and he is about 8 months old, how can I get him to learn to use it?
2. Theres a water bottle too. How can I teach him to use it? Because Im sick of him spilling all the water out :p
3. Any other supply I should give him?
Thanks! :)

What size is the cage? To me, it looks like a cage meant for a hamster. Is the wheel at least 10" across and preferably 12". If not, it is too small for him.

He is adorable.

I think its smaller than that :/
But you think he might use it anyways?

But you think he might use it anyways?

The problem is that if the wheel isn't big enough, you run the risk of an animal hurting it's spine because they are bent in an unnatural position. So he might use it - but is it good for him?

I agree with Nancy too. That cage looks pretty small. I also worry about ventilation when they are enclosed like that.

I saw him and he fits alright though, just not sure if he`ll use it

Is that blue thing in the top of the cage to the right of the picture a water bottle? If so, that is not at all hedgehog appropriate. Hedgehogs do best with water bowls or if using a bottle it needs to be one with an angled spout, low to the cage floor.

What is the dimensions of the cage and wheel?

If that is the cage, it is completely inappropriate for a hedgehog. It is too small, too closed in and at 9" tall is not at all close to being high enough for a proper sized wheel. The water bottle is also not hedgehog friendly. That is a hamster cage.

You will probably find that with an appropriate sized wheel and cage that he will start to wheel.

I know exactly what cage that is.
My boyfriend wanted me to get it for Spiny when we first got him.
He took one look at the wheel size and decided that because he was going to grow, it would not be appropriate.

Plus, a hedgehog's cage is prone to mold and poor ventilation in general if it isn't basically open on all sides. The one in the photo is more enclosed than an aquarium (also not recommended for the same reasons).

It may be expensive to upgrade, but it will last him the rest of his life if you buy a larger cage.

Its not that expensive to upgrade if you get a C&C type cage. You can get the shelving at target or Walmart for $15 and then the coroplast for like $8 a sheet. Then throw dont a piece of fleece for the liner.

For the wheel, you can make your own for under 10 if you have the tools already or know someone who does.

Its not that expensive to upgrade if you get a C&C type cage. You can get the shelving at target or Walmart for $15 and then the coroplast for like $8 a sheet. .

I wish C&C supplies were that cheap here, its 32+tax for the cubes and 22+tax for the coroplast and fleece runs anywhere from 3-10$ a m

It's well worth the price though my guys have huge cages

When they have them, Costco in Canada sells a double set of cubes for about $20.

Canadian tire sells them for $29.99 regular price but I've seen them on sale numerous times for $9.99.

Dont you Canadians have Walmart up there? Or something like it? Also for fabric you can find sometimes fleece for $1 or so on a really good sale and then stock up then.

Fleece here is never $1. The only $1 fleece is fleece throws from the dollar store and it is cheap quality fleece. The cheapest the good stuff goes is $5.

Walmart has nice coloured cubes but they are no big deal in price.

Cute Hedgie - but I'm sure he needs a bigger cage than that - I use a 40 gallon critter tank - I never put the top on - and I use a 12" wheel - I also have a Large Saucer for her to run on - I alternate from that & the wheel.....more versatile for my sweet Heidi.

Back