Cleaning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kiah-Muz

I read a lot of times of people using vinegar to clean cages and supplies.

However, I thought it would be interesting to ask- does everyone use white or yellow vinegar?

I was just curious. :D

White vinegar in a 50/50 solution with water and a squirt of soap for added cleaning power.

I alternate between cleaning methods. Most times, I use white vinegar + hot water. Sometimes I'll just clean the wheels with Dawn dish soap and rinse really well.

After every cleaning, I scrub some baking soda on the wheels. It pulls out any lingering scent and removes any stains that may still be there.

Since I use liners, I don't really have to wipe down the cage floors too much. I generally use plain hot water and every week or so, I add some vinegar. For spot cleaning, I use baby wipes. The litter pans get rinsed in a slightly more concentrated vinegar solution and scrubbed down with baking soda.

White vinegar is what I usually use but the smell is so strong I let the cage air out for an hour before putting all the stuff back in.

I use white vinegar and water to wipe down everything in the cage, and the wheel soaks in the sink with some dish soap. The food and water dishes are also cleaned with vinegar and water. The vinegar is the only thing that gets rid of the hard water deposits that form in the water dish because we have ridiculously hard water!

I use white vinegar also, but mainly to wash hedgie linens in. Just a splash in the hot water helps get the urine and feces smell out.

For wiping down though, I actually use hydrogen peroxide, then wipe it down with water. H2O2 actually kills bacteria where vinegar doesn't always do the trick.

Back