New cage and potty training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy_the_chinny

My roommate and I recently switched to a new cage (Feisty Ferret) and our previous cage had a solid bottom which we covered with bedding. The new cage has wire bottoms which we have covered with fleece that is chinchilla-safe and put in a corner litter box with bedding, but they are only about 5 months old and still pee in other places. Is there anyway to get some sort of addition to the cage which would allow us to cover with bedding? It doesn't smell as good as it did with all bedding, and I feel a little bit out of my element here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also - if there is a forum that would fit this type of information, I would love to know what it was, because I had a hard time finding information on this type of thing!

Although most chins will pick a spot to pee not all do, and need to be trained to do so. There are also some chins that just plain don't want to pee in one spot, my current two will literally take a step or two from where they are sitting to pee sometimes.

You can buy a metal pan that fits the Feisty Ferret cage from Bass Equipment. The stainless steel is more expensive but less prone to rust.

As for it smelling, fleece needs to be changed a couple times a week if they pee on it, some people find it needs to be changed once a day. It also depends on what you have as an absorbent middle layer and how many layers the fleece liners are. My guys aren't litter trained, I've put a litter box were they pee the most, but as I said, they still go everywhere. I use three layers of fleece, but other people use a towel or quilt material inside since it's more absorbent, I don't trust that in case they decide to chew it. Another thing with using fleece liners is you can't use any fabric softener, it will cause the fleece to lose it's absorbancy. Also it's best not to use detergent, use about a cup of vinegar per load instead, vinegar is a natural disinfectant and neutralizes pee smell.

Back