What is the best water bottle for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MochaChin

Hello everyone! I just joined this forum today and i'd like to know the best chinchilla water bottle brand? I'll be getting a chin for my birthday and did all the research I can. So I've found everything alright until I tried to find a water bottle for a chin, everyone said the kaytee water bottle is too leaky and will get their fur wet, i'm considering getting the lixit water bottle but still not sure if it's the best solution if anyone has any recommendations i'd really appreciate it! :)

Aside from a glass bottle, so they can't chew though it, most bottles seem to be luck of the draw. I have a Living World one that seems to be working ok. The Lixit brand ones people do tend have better luck with though. I use to have ok luck with the Super Pet ones, but it looks like super pet is kaytee now, and the kaytee ones are not the same, and do leak bad. The only real leak proof bottles seem to be the no drip valve type ones, but not all chins understand how to use them and I've only seen them for plastic so you'd need to put something between the bottle and cage to prevent chewing the bottle.

Sometimes with any glass water bottle you need to do little tricks to get them to work at least most of the time. Make sure the water is filled to the top to form a proper vacuum seal, room temp water works better then cold water, make sure the chin hasn't stuck something in the spout, and make sure the rubber washer is fully down flat in the cap. It's also good to turn it right side up and tap it a few times to make sure the water is in fact coming out but not leaking.

its an ever ongoing issue... given that our need of water has been around for a while now, youd think they would have made a near perfect water bottle...But no....

One water bottle tip when you refill-install it in the cage and tap the ball, watch for bubbles in the water, this makes sure the nozzle is not air blocked and won't deliver water. If it is not making bubbles, shake it a bit and then you will see bubbles.

Back