Ferret Nation heating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgie_kid

Slave to 1 Prickly Pig
So my hedgie is in a single unit Ferret Nation cage. I have a 150 watt repti care heat emitter in a 10" solid fixture. I know the wattage is kinda high but Chins-n-quills was down and I desperately wanted to get rid of Hot Dog's red heat lamp. I couldn't sleep with it on and Hot Dog hated it to be on. Anyways, the cage is very well ventilated and the emitter is just sitting on the cage, about 16 inches from the bottom of the cage. The cage is also very well ventilated and I knew that would be a factor. The back of the cage is block off by a wall but the two sides and the front are all open. She seems fine but I know hedgies are known for hiding their real feelings. Thanks in advance!!!:D

Do you have a thermometer in the cage? What is the temp in the cage? That would be the first step to figuring out if it's warm enough for Hot Dog.

I should have mentioned that the cage is about 76.5 degrees farenhte. I know this is a good temperature for hedgehogs but the thermometer is so close to the heat emitter, I don't know how accurate it is. I I move it any farther away, Hot Dog may get at it and I don't want that to happen!!!:D

Put the thermometer on the floor of the cage during the day while he is sleeping to get the temperature.

I usually hang thermometers about 5-6" from the floor on the back wall of the cage. If the thermometer is position there you can usually assume the temperature at floor level is a degree cooler. They usually only bug at the thermometer for a few minutes and when they find it no longer interesting, they leave it alone.

Thanks to both Nancy and beanjelly! My original question probably should have "Is it safe to leave a thermometer with in a hedgie's reach for a limited anount of time?" But it worked out anyways. The offical temp is 75.5-75.7. I hope this much fluxuation(don't know spelling???) isn't to bad for them. Thanks again!

That temperature is perfect. Fluctuations to worry about are 2-3F or more. Some are more temperature sensitive than others.

Back