When new mom says no

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin-nw

I have a first time mom deliver 3 healthy kits. Mom is a standard, dad is a Pure Standard. All boys, all standards. Mom does not want to sit in the house with the kits. She sits on the house, while the kits are inside. I read somewhere that you can give mom something to calm her.Once calm, she is more likely to want to be with the kits. Does anybody know what I am referring to?

Take the house out until mom starts taking care of her kids.

Keep an eye on them. A first time mom may be overwhelmed and have a hard time supporting triplets. Weigh them, and be ready to step in if needed.

,Take out the shelves, too, if they're still in there - she should stay on the floor, with them!

Well mom, after being forced to be with her kits seems settled down now. Letting them nurse. I'll keep the house and ledges out for awhile just in case. Also, I found the article I was thinking about originally. In a MCBA newsletter, it suggests giving a nervous mom Chamomile mixed with their feed to calm them.

Do you have a digital scale? Weigh the kits. Some of my moms seem to take some time away from the kits the first day, but then become much more attentive after that. If he's still in, make sure to remove dad from the cage now - he can go back in after 10 days to help with the kits, but then he should come back out as mom will go back in heat a month after birth.

The kits might go down a few grams during the first few days, but then should start gaining 3-5 grams a day on average. If they don't, try supplementing goat's milk.

Thanks Veronica, yes I always weigh my kits. I know you don't know me, but i have been breeding for about 8 years now. This just happens to be the first time a mom refused her kits. thanks though. I am sure this info will be useful to others too

glad to see she is doing better.i had to hand feed arescue once-not fun! just wondering if this happens often with new moms? i'm guessing not since this is your first in 8 yrs.

p.s.
sorry for the poor typing i'm using my ps3 & controller

Thanks everyone. So far so good. The kits were 52, 53 and 54 grams when born and so far have not lost any weight. Mom seems to be ok now,although she doesn't tend to the kits as much as I like. I am supplementing all 3 to help her out. And hopefully keep her a bit calmer if the kits are fighting over her.

Well thats good news to hear they are all at steady weights, good luck with the triplets!

Also, I found the article I was thinking about originally. In a MCBA newsletter, it suggests giving a nervous mom Chamomile mixed with their feed to calm them.
Interesting... I've never heard that one before. I'm glad to hear that she's getting used to her new litter :)

Back