Things to buy for my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaChin

I’m getting 2 chinchillas today from a girl from kijiji. I’ll be looking them over before buying them obviously! She said she has all the necessities, but I’m wondering what else I should buy/order tomorrow, once I see everything she has for them. I’ve looked over a lot of things here but it’s hard to gather so much information from so many posts. I didn’t know what the best brands of everything I should get are. (I won’t be changing their food right away if what she is feeding them aren’t good, I’ll ween them out and in) Also what are some good things to buy/order that aren’t necessities but things they’ll like, toys, treats, sticks, etc. I’ve done an abundance of research but living in Alberta, Canada it’s a bit harder to find stuff and forums to order from, especially ones that aren’t from 10 years ago. I’d prefer to order from Amazon (Canada) but willing to order from other places as well as long as shipping isn’t stupidly overpriced!
Thanks a bunch!

Well, depending on where you are in Alberta, I've found the best brand that is easiest to get for food is Oxbow (the essentials, not the garden one), but Mazuri is a good brand too. You will also want Blue Cloud dust, the cheaper stuff like the stuff made by Kaytee, tends to stick to the chinchilla more and not give as clean of a look.

Unfortunately although Amazon is nice and convenient for most things, chew sticks are not really well liked by chinchillas since it's mostly over processed flavorless wood stuff you'd find in a pet store. The toys are ok, but it's cheaper to just buy a steel skewer kabob and toy parts. I get most of my toys, sticks, and stuff from Chinchilla Park Place, the shipping does suck, but that's Canada post for you. I just put in large orders to justify the shipping cost, the cost starts high but doesn't go up that much as you add items. There is also Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box that has some good items. There is also Flower Town Chinchilla, but just like Amazon a lot of stuff sold there are just pet store stuff, which also means not everything is chin safe.

I think it might be better to just let us know what you are looking for, once you find out what you will need and ask if you find something you aren't sure about. When I got my current two they supposedly came with everything they needed too. Only problem was they came with cheap treat filled food, a broken cage, a plastic house, plastic food bowl, no toys, no hay holder, the list goes on and on.

I did write up a basic chinchilla care sheet awhile ago HERE if you want to take a look. (Looking at it now it looks like I forgot about toys.) LY Chinchillas also has some nice write ups too.

Back