Need some help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhbf91

About a week and a half ago i noticed my hedgehog had bad swelling around his mouth and a lump under his chin that had literally just appeared out of nowhere, and it looked like there was something stuck inside his mouth and he couldn't close it. I checked to see if there was any food stuck in there and there wasn't so i took him to the vet the next morning.
she said he had a large abscess inside his mouth and partway down his throat, she has drained the abscess and cut it away but the bone is very badly eroded, she put him on some antibiotics after his operation and said that if the soft tissue heals over the bone there is a good chance he will recover.
He has been on the antibiotics for 8 days now and i haven't seen any change in the swelling, the lump under his chin looks the same and his mouth still looks like it is prised open.
He isn't very active at all, he hasn't eaten anything for two days now. I've been giving him sugar and water but he will only take tiny bits of it.
How long does it take for swelling to go down after an operation like this? do i need to take him back to the vet.
thanks x

I would take him back to the vet. I'm not sure, but I would think there should be some change by now. At the very least call the vet asap and tell her whats going on. Maybe it is normal, but he needs to eat so the vet will be able to help with that too.

He picked up a little bit and although he couldn't eat his hard food he was eating chicken soup.
His eye has started to protrude on the right side and it looks like it is literally about to pop out, my vet can't see him until Monday. Has anybody ever heard of their eyes doing this?
It's not looking good for him at all.
Thanks a lot for any replies x

Back