Flying with my Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollis_garr

Hey All,

I currently live in California and my chinchilla has been living in Illinois with my parents. I am looking to fly her back to California with me. I miss her tons and want home to have her with me ASAP!!!

Does any know what the restrictions are on flying with a chinchilla and the best airlines to fly with? Can I carry her on the plane with me?

Any help is extremely appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

You would be better off finding an animal transporter who transports over the road. Haven't found an airline who takes chinchillas on flights and the one that Large chin Breeders can afford to use are only affordable when flying at least 10 chinchilla or more.I would check around with some of the big breeders and find about the safest flights.

I actually flew my chinchilla from Houston to Boston around Thanksgiving time in 2018. It was pretty much my only option when I had to relocate or I would have to give her up. The only airlines that accept chinchilla in cargo area (none would take chinchilla to passenger cabin) are AA and Delta. AA has a dedicated animal cargo area that has temperature control and there's specific tracking system to track your animal. She flew separately from me and it wasn't even a direct flight (1 stop lay over). It was nerve wracking for me the entire trip but she ended up getting to Boston safely.

She will have to fly Cargo, currently only Alaskan and American allow them to fly. She will require a health cert within 3 days of travel and the cost runs $150-$250 depending on the flight. They do fine in cargo, I've shipped in hundreds in the past. ABC Chinchillas ships out of Illinois and could probably help you navigate shipping.

Back