New hedgehog owner help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowdahedgehog

So I just got my hedgie today from this woman in Craig's list.i.named her snow she's a full white with red eyes only problem is snow is scared and quills up when I pick her up.im picking her up like you would all hedgies by scooping her up from under by her belly.she seems happy but not when i try to pick her put and interact with her.she seems to be 2 months or so the lady had no idea how old snow is but she looks half grown not too big so id say 2 months.

I'm not an experienced keeper, but from what I've read, seen and learned from others is that it simply takes time and patience. They are small prey animals, so naturally they will be timid, especially if you only had them less than a day. They are naturally more cautious because they are easily vulnerable, and you are a new, strange being, and she's in a new, strange smelling home, etc. Give her time to settle in before bothering her. Then, advice given to me was to settle her in/on your lap, give her appropriate treats, and possibly give her something of yours to sleep in. This should help her acclimate to her new surroundings, as well as associate your smell with something rewarding. I'm sure others will pop in and give much better advice 😊 Hope this helps in the meantime.

PS, congrats on Snow, she sounds beautiful!

Back