Are they nocturnal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephdq93

Hello!

I am new to owning a chinchilla. I have a female and she is only 4 months old. I have had her for a month now. Some nights she sleeps through the night and other nights she will jump around her cage for a few hours. This usually happens in ths middle of the night when I am already asleep and wakes me. I was wondering if there's any way I can train her to be more active during the day and sleep more at night? Is there something I can do at night to calm her? Thanks!!

Nope, that's pretty much the way they are. My chins bark, run, jump, cage surf all night long. I've just learned to tune it out unless it's a chinny death scream or a fight. That wakes me right up.

Chins are technically crepuscular, or so I've been told, most active at dawn and dusk. My chins must be a bit odd the because they are most active all day long.

I suppose you could try and train it out of her, but I wouldn't. It's just how they she is made.

Back