I made these hay cookies, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they look great. never thought of cooking the oatmeal first tho & I love the little pumpkin in the cage. Is Omen one of their names?

I was wondering what I could possible do with my extra boba straws!!

I'm going to try this tonight :)

when i make mine, i also bake them at a low temp until they are hard. i dont cook my oatmeal first, i grind it up and just mix it in but that is a good idea to thicken up the mix. i use hay dust from the bottom of the bag, crushed pellets and i crush up my herbal mix with some oats. after i mix it with my hands (very sticky) before i get it to the point where i can roll/smooth is out, i do sprinkle a pinch of the whole oats. i use the tiny cookie cutters and even at that, i break them in half. out of 10 chins, only 1 really doesnt like them that much. sometimes i find them under his fleece liner!
they really are fun to make. i love the idea of the hay tube thingies that you made.

i was thinking of rolling a piece of apple wood in the mixture and baking it next time. double whammy treat!!

This is almost how I make mine. I tried getting on the stick. Um easier said than done, yes very sticky! I kept dusting my hands in the oat flour! I'm going to try something else to see if making cookies is any ummm less messy, and will let ya know if it works!

they look great. never thought of cooking the oatmeal first tho & I love the little pumpkin in the cage. Is Omen one of their names?
Omen is the white mosaic, Nemo is the standard. AZChins Susan made that halloween ledge for me.

I know this is an old thread to dig up, but I have a question for the people who make these without cooking the oatmeal first. How do you bind the ingredients together prior to baking? Do you just add enough water to make it stick?

I've only added warm water, 1/2 a cup of 100% Pure Pumpkin (not sugared or pie filling) and a little of Blackstrap molasses. I end up with a huge batch of cookies.

Those look great!

The recipe I use is pretty similar to some others mentioned here... I use oat flour with pure pumpkin, a tiny bit of blackstrap molasses, and crushed alfalfa hay, and then make bite-size cookies with micro cookie cutters (they're all about 1cm across). Bake them at low heat (around 200-225) for at least an hour and you're good to go :))

wCOZJ.jpg

Last edited:
The only potential issue I saw was the oats you used. I believe you don't want to use them, but instead use the slow cooked oats. Maybe someone can state whether that is true or not...

This is fantastic! I'm going to write this recipe down. Should this be fed in moderation since it's using oats?

I just finished making some using your recipe and they turned out great! Here is Mikey Angelo nibbling on the goods. Thank you for the recipe!

Attachments

• IMG_20140416_232437.jpg
    IMG_20140416_232437.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 21
I'm just trying to figure out what kind we should use when we make them! I don't want to give them something they shouldn't have.

I'm just trying to figure out what kind we should use when we make them! I don't want to give them something they shouldn't have.

Always go with the old fashion or slow cooked oats. The quick oats expand too quickly in their tummies :) at least that was what I was told, I could be wrong lol

Back