Some pictures of my cage setup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the wheels it seems like your animals are taken care of well. The thing is, what I think, or what anyone else thinks isn't the most important thing. Once you get past the basics that are necessary for their health and survival, what constitutes "spoiling them" or taking good care of them is individual. The important thing is that YOU think you're doing your best for them, and that you are satisfied with the results.

Orders left hanging???? I do my orders as they come, and what I discuss with my customers is really none of your business. I amend the problems as they come up. Items get lost in postage, Refunds are sent out.

Guess again Jordan, since I'M the one they come b*tching to when YOU don't fill the orders. Perhaps you should contact Menagerie about a comb she is STILL waiting for.

Everything that goes on on this forum is my business, because I own it and the forum members make it my business. Just like when people piss me off and I ban them because of snarky comments in a thread that they think they are going to get away with.

You are hounding Kathiva, you have no business doing it since you aren't an authority on anything chinchilla, and I have had nothing but complaints about your selling practices. So I suggest you attend to that before you bother posting to any more threads or you'll find yourself back on permanent moderated status.

How's that work for you??

Kathiva - someday you may want to get some cages that are more uniform for ease of cleaning. Way back maybe 10 years ago all my cages were horribly mismatched when I had about 30 to 50 chins. I moved to something that is more compact, safer and easier to clean...not to mention that everything matches better.

I agree about the wheels, I'd take those out. Other than that...keep the cages and waterbottles clean and you should be good. :) Oh...the wallpaper is not so pretty, but that's okay...the chins will probably destroy it eventually anyway. Then you can paint the wall a nice, appealing color that won't be embarrassing to show people. :p

I don't know about the other stuff for the last page or so of this thread. I'll just pretend it isn't there.... :p

oh by the way, that wallpaper is only on that one wall, so it should be easy to take it out, I could just move the cages a little aside and take it off

The reason I suggest fully moving them out is because you are still going to have to scrape glue and residue off the walls and it gets quite messy. We just spent a month redoing walls, and stripping wallpaper properly causes a ton of crap to fly around the room.

At least tack the wall paper back up if someone gets their teeth on it it could cause issues there is a lot of chemicals in wallpaper.. And now that I understand there is 1 animal per those cages it is better, I misunderstood that those were the cages you were keeping 2 or 3 adult animals in. those cages were what concerned me that would have been way way to cramped for 2-3 animals

I for one think that your setup is very nice and your chinchillas are very lucky :)

yes, I really never liked the idea of using runs for all my chins, because some of them, had been always been treated as pet chins, and had never come from runs, and my chins have always seemed to love having big cages than the smaller ones, there is some chins that if I move them to the small cage, they seem to put a sad face right away like this :(
jejeje

Kathiva - someday you may want to get some cages that are more uniform for ease of cleaning. Way back maybe 10 years ago all my cages were horribly mismatched when I had about 30 to 50 chins. I moved to something that is more compact, safer and easier to clean...not to mention that everything matches better.

I agree about the wheels, I'd take those out. Other than that...keep the cages and waterbottles clean and you should be good. :) Oh...the wallpaper is not so pretty, but that's okay...the chins will probably destroy it eventually anyway. Then you can paint the wall a nice, appealing color that won't be embarrassing to show people. :p

I don't know about the other stuff for the last page or so of this thread. I'll just pretend it isn't there.... :p

Yes, I would like to eventually, is just that for example, I would be buying one cage at a time everytime that I would acquire a new chin and would buy whatever cage would be a good deal and that I actually liked and that would be sort of like the kind of cage I was looking for, which are the ones with pull out trays and at least a tray that is 24 deep and 24 inches wide, and something between 18 to 24 inches at least, if not more. Some I got them new from a supplier in town and some I got them used.

This set up is a HUGE improvement over your set up in your basement Kathiva....I was so worried about air flow in the basement, and it was damp too......
I know you are trying, and are even paying rent for your chinnies now so that they have a proper room. Do you still have the two rooms? I know when I saw your rooms you had one room with your chins, and another quarantine room for new chins. This is a MUST for new or sick chins in order to separate them from the rest of your herd. I hope you keep both rooms!

kathiva, you want to be careful with the Dehumidifer... they throw alot of heat and may overheat your room.

I was just wondering, you mention that you rent the room for your chin.
Maybe I missed soemthing, but do you have easy access to your chins and this at any time you wish?

yes, I know, mine tends to throw on some warm air, but it's not so bad, the room is big, and it actually keeps it at a good temperature, not too warm, not too cold, so it's good.
I remember that at my other chinnie room, I would have to watch it, because it would get warmer than at this new room I have, so I don't know why, maybe becaue the room was smaller than this one.

Yes, I do have unlimited access to my chin room, it is upstairs of a building that is very close to my house, a few blocks only, and I can go anytime I want, day or night :)

This set up is a HUGE improvement over your set up in your basement Kathiva....I was so worried about air flow in the basement, and it was damp too......
I know you are trying, and are even paying rent for your chinnies now so that they have a proper room. Do you still have the two rooms? I know when I saw your rooms you had one room with your chins, and another quarantine room for new chins. This is a MUST for new or sick chins in order to separate them from the rest of your herd. I hope you keep both rooms!

yeah, that's why I moved them, and because my boyfriend wouldn't let me have a bigger room in the house, he doesn't like the chins so much
yes, I still have both rooms available, so it's nice that the tenant let's me use both, and it comes very handy to store supplies or when I need to do quarintines or when a chin is sick, but luckily that hasn't happened :)

It has been playing my mind since I read you rent a couple of rooms at a tenants a few blocks away from you house.

So I have to ask. LOL Maybe I am too much of a mom for all of my chins.

So just wondering what your reasoning is on the following questions so I understand a little better.

Do you know these people well? Have you known them for long? Do they know anything about chinchillas? Do they have a acces to your chins? What happens if he moves, where will your chinchillas go? What do you do if a female needs help feeding the kits?
Sick etc...

Sorry if I am asking these questions, but, well maybe I am a chicken when it comes to my chins, but I would not feel comfortable at all leaving them with a stranger. I would be afraid of what ever.... and not having control over who goes in my chin room would drive me nuts.

But that's me. =/

No, he does not have access to my room, I do know him for a while, and I do trust him, even though he does not have access and he does not have knowledge of chins, I would say it is not of his interest, if a chin is sick, I would bring that chin home to give all attention it needs, but luckily, everything has been good with my chins, all of them are healthy, nothing has happened.
I don't think he would move though, but if he does, then I would have to bring them back home, but will have to try to convince my boyfriend to let me have a bigger room, or to maybe reduce my herd a little bit, so my boyfriend doesn't mind me bringing them back, I just moved them not so long ago, maybe about 2 months or so, so hopefully everything keeps going ok, like it's been going so far. :)

Back