Anyone smart with iPod's?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zie

Specifically, a 5th Gen 30GB Black iPod. It's three years old, works perfectly.

The way iPod's work is this. They can only sync up to one computer. If I have it synced up here at home, then it has all the music on this computer, on the iPod. But if I sync up at my fiance's computer, it will completely erase the iPod and replace everything with HIS music.

Last time I updated my iPod was with my old computer, was has been dead for about...um...5 months. This is a new computer.

Does anyone know of ANY programs that can rip the music off my iPod and to my computer? I would really hate to lose all my music that really needs to be updated, and my fiance and myself are really, really, cautious about downloading music. We don't want to have to do that.

I've found a few programs, but either they don't work, or I have to buy them, and I kinda like...don't have the money to buy something that useless. I love my music, but I'm not about to spend $30+ on a program I might use once every few months.

You can authorize up to 5 computers per iPod. Open iTunes and click store and then authorize this computer.

Second, change the setting in iTunes so it doesn't automatically sync and overwrite.

Third, when you dock your iPod, go into "file" and then "transfer purchased music from iPod". That takes the music from the iPod to iTunes.

I just went through this when I upgraded from a classic to a touch.

When you plug your ipod in and the status screen pops up in itunes, click on the option to manually manage your music. This way you wont lose your music. My cousin bought a progam called tune jack for like $20 and you can rip music from any ipod.

You can authorize up to 5 computers per iPod. Open iTunes and click store and then authorize this computer.

Second, change the setting in iTunes so it doesn't automatically sync and overwrite.

Third, when you dock your iPod, go into "file" and then "transfer purchased music from iPod". That takes the music from the iPod to iTunes.

I just went through this when I upgraded from a classic to a touch.

That might not apply to older iPod's. This isn't a classic. Well. It is, but I mean literally, it's a classic. It came before the iPod Classic edition. It only sync's to one computer.

And this music isn't purchased. It was ripped from CD's and put onto the iPod.

You should be able to do that with any ipod, for the most part no matter how old. I remember doing it with my old shuffle.

There is a program called Senuti (it's "iTunes" spelled backwards :D)... it might be for Mac only though, I'm not too sure. Anyways, it should be Freeware and it takes music off of your iPod for you... I have used it before when I switched from a Mini to a Nano. I am totally anti-computer genius though, so I'm sorry if this is totally wrong!

Awesome. I plugged my iPod in, and it says another user is currently logged on with this iPod. Ask the other user to log off, or something like that.

Wtf does that mean? I haven't plugged this thing in to a computer in five+ months.

I used Senuti as well, but yes... it is Mac only. I just went through this with a new computer last week after a hard drive failure.

And I am pretty sure that you can only transfer purchased music to 5 separate computers (this means that it will not include anything that you ripped yourself) - at least that is what the apple tech guy I talked to on the phone said.

There are many other programs, so I would suggest shelling out the $15-$20 for one and doing it the safe way. You wouldn't want to re-rip your whole CD collection again :)

If I even HAD that CD collection, I would gladly just rip it all. But that's the thing, I don't have it anymore.

Oh, and now, iTunes isn't registering my iPod at all. The iPod recognizes that it's plugged in right now, but iTunes isn't.

The might be it. I'll have to try an older version then.

I found a program to rip the music to my computer, so I'm good on that. Now I just need to get iTunes to connect to the iPod.

Hehe. I had to download iTunes 7.0 It works now. xD And I hopefully got all the songs transfered. Thanks for the help.

Back