Loofah Seeds?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateHorse

I recently purchased a bag of whole unbleached loofah from a bird toy dealer on Etsy. I had seen people make their own slices out of whole ones. When the package arrived I noticed a lot of seeds in the bag. Upon further examination after cutting one open, I found tons of seeds inside the loofah itself. I’ve never seen this, the ones I had seen didn’t seem to have these seeds. I am now extremely hesitant to give these slices to my boys as I’ve read most seeds are unhealthy if not dangerous.

My question is, is this normal? Are they safe for them with seeds? If not does anyone have a suggestion for removing the seeds (I attempted picking them out, but they were in layers and was very difficult).If these are not safe I have no problem scrapping them, but if they are usable I’d obviously like to use them. Has anyone else encountered this?

I've bought whole loofah before too and yes seeds are normal, especially if bought from a bird site they assume they are going to birds and the seeds are fine for birds. I doubt the seeds are safe for chins, seeds in general are too high in fat for chins. You'll either need to remove the seeds, I used an x-acto knife, or just cut the middle out and make loofah rings. I luckily just bought one, but it still took awhile to dig all the seeds out, I sliced the loofah up and dig the seeds out one slice at a time. The thinner you slice it the easier it is to get the seeds out.

Taking out the core would be the easiest, thank you for the suggestion. I bought 10 of them I think, if that proves too tedious I do fortunately have a couple parrotlets and a cockatiel that would be more than eager to destroy them :)

Back