Poop stuck on feet!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey59

Has Hedgehog Disease
My hedgie, Pompeii, has been running his heart out, and his poop, on his wheel. Every day it turns out to be a disaster on his wheel. 2 days ago was his worst so far. In result, poo stuck to his feet and got rock solid by the time I found out. I got most of it off, but there Is still some stuck, on all fours, in his nails. I have tried a food bath; In the end, he got really stressed and showed me some green poo. When I tried a wet paper towel, he kept moving and it did nothing. When I tried some fingernail clippers, it got some chunks off, but not on his nails. What can I do to get rid of the poop on his feet?

I like to use those triangular litter boxes made for ferrets (http://iheartferrets.com/super-pet-ferret-hi-corner-litter-pan/) as tubs for footbaths. I take a washcloth, fold it into a triangle, and put enough warm water in so the washcloth is submerged... Like the smallest amount of warm water you can use to get the washcloth fully soaked with a little bit of water over the top of it. [hope that makes sense]

They seem to appreciate having that washcloth in there so they have something more to grab on to than the slippery surface of a sink or whatnot. As they walk around on the washcloth, it helps to remove the poops as the water softens the poops up. The back is nice and high to help persuade them not to try and leave that way, and you can have your hands all along the lower front edge to hold a scared hedgie (or at least hold up the front end while the back feet are still in the water).

It doesn't always get 100% of the poops, but does a good job. I'll go back over with my fingers to try and dislodge additional poop. I'll often use the washcloth to gently rub a bit too.

My pet sitter reported having success with q-tips. I haven't tried it. But I'll put it out as another option.

Hmm... depends on the dishcloth. The washcloths that I have are a bit... hmmm... not sure the right word here. It's not "rough" because they're soft, but they're not smooth like the way I picture most dishcloths. It's like they have these little loops... but not actual loops since toes can get caught in actual loops. I think that the quasi-loops help to brush some of the poops off a bit more than a completely flat cloth.

At worst, try it and see what happens. Seems like it wouldn't hurt to try ;)

Great News!

It worked great! Sorry this is late but Christmas things are happening!

So I wetted the dishcloth and put a little of hot water with it. (The warm water cooled to fast by the time I got him in the foot bath.)

You know what he did?

He stood there why I soaked his two feet! Although I had to feed him about 10 pieces of his kibble to make him stand still he did great! Pompeii's feet aren't perfect, but they are fine for now. That idea worked great!

I give put him down, let him calm down and fed him a little. (from my hand too :p :D ) I grabbed our baby clippers with a little thing that swung out from the clippers; Like something you would use to get the dirt out of your fingernails. And I wet his feet and just scraped the poopies out of his toes!

Thank you tons!!!

Dry Skin

I have a new problem; but first, I'll tell you a quick prologue.

Pompeii's cage is split in two sections, bed time, and wheel and food time (playtime too). Since he is quilling, there were quills scattered throughout the cage. But weird enough, every time Pompeii had to itch he went into the bed time area. So today was cleaning day. When I got to the bed area, it looked like dandruff all over. One thought came to mind; dry skin.

As said previously, he is quilling and/or has dry skin. I am not positive he has dry skin because he was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb him. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will be able to give him an oatmeal bath just in case.

But I am kind of lost. Does he have dry skin? Could you run me through the steps of an oatmeal bath?

Thank you for your time! :wacko:

Last edited:
Given the season, odds are that it's dry skin. And, even if not, oatmeal bath can help with the ouchies of quilling. There are two main ways to accomplish this:

1. You can get regular oatmeal (like the kind you'd eat), put some in a sock, prepare the bath with nice warm water and a washcloth for him to stand on, before putting him in, swish the sock around in the water until it's nice and cloudy, then put him in. You can leave the sock in there during bath time or take it out. Think of it a little bit like a tea bag sitting there in your cup of Earl Grey.

2. You can use colloidal oatmeal that's usually sold in a box of several packets. Put the washcloth in, then sprinkle the oatmeal (about a quarter of a packet) on top of the washcloth, start running the water so it's warm, then start filling the tub. You'll still have to break up some of the oatmeal blobs with your fingers, but less so than if you tried water first, then oatmeal on top.

There's also the Aveeno oatmeal wash (or store brand) that comes out looking a bit like a liquid soap. I don't like that quite as much for dry skin issues. If you look at the ingredients on that... there's waaay more ingredients listed than either the plain oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal.

Whichever you choose, use your free hand or a little cup to scoop up a bit of water and pour it down his back. Keep the water that you're pouring away from his face. And definitely out of his ears. With any luck, he might put his front feet on your fingers so his back is a nice little incline.

I don't rinse afterward. But I do give a nice snuggle. Just let him dry in a blankie/towel/fleece on your belly or in your lap until he's all set. Don't try to use a hair dryer or anything! The oatmeal will help, but don't fool yourself into thinking "oh, I'll just do this every day and problem solved!!" It's more a once a week max type of thing. You can get a little gel cap of flax seed oil and put a few drops on him... I'd aim for maybe a day or so after oatmeal bath time.

I will defiantly do this tomorrow!

My only hope is that he won't get scared at all. But I will tell you tomorrow how it went!

Thank you :)

Turns out we don't have oatmeal and my mom won't go out and get some, but when I go to my dads house I will steal his oatmeal :D

I do realize he needs something in the time being. Can't I 'sprinkle' some olive oil on his back? If so, do you use it like shampoo in a bath; or no bath and just pour it on his back?

You can try olive oil or vitamin e. I've used vit e before. It works, but is thicker, stickier, and doesn't spread as easily as flax seed oil. So, yes, but use sparingly. Try just 1 or 2 drops to start with and make sure he's okay with it. Some really don't care for the scent or feeling. If that happens, rinse him thoroughly and promise him you'll do differently in the future. If he's okay, try another few drops tomorrow. Think of applying it like the spots on a dalmation. Just a bit here and there. Then give it time to spread.

Wait, so should I use olive oil, vitamin e, or flax seed oil? And do I do it in a bath or dry (as in not a bath)?

I'd use flax seed oil when he's dry. No bath... just apply a few drops. Less stressful for him that way and less you have to juggle all at once.

If you don't have/can't find flax seed oil, then I'd use vitamin e. And if you can't get a hold of either, then olive oil. Whichever you use, just a few drops when he's dry.

Back