Jumping out of the cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kumo169

Hi guys I'm new here and a new chin owner.

I got a 4 month-old mosaic male chin about 2 weeks ago. His name is Kumo, which means "cloud" in Japanese. I think we bonded quite well these 2 weeks. He let me scratch him on the head and neck. I kind of trained him to go to the spots I tapped. He sometimes sleeps on his side, which I read on this forum that it means trusting.

I placed Kumo on the top level of the 2-story cage because the breeder said he is still young so having one level for now can prevent him from over-exercising. Also it's easier for me to check on him as I'm only 4' 11". Whenever I open the cage to clean it or just put my hands in the cage, I would use my body to block the opening just to keep him in the cage. But he would always try to find any gap to squeeze in, trying to get out of the cage.

Just not too long ago when I opened the cage to clean it, Kumo tried to jump off of the cage. Knowing that he may break his legs if he really did jump off, I used my forearm to push him back into the cage. After that he made about 10 medium-pitched squeaks within 10 minutes. I know that bond we built is now broken as he stayed in his hideout then.

Anyone with chins that like to jump out of the cage (from the upper level)? How can I stop him from doing that for now? I really don't want him to hurt himself

If you can't physically block him so he can't jump out could you move him? You said he is in the top of a 2 story cage, so could you put him in the bottom of the cage while you clean the top? You don't need to set up the bottom level for living yet, just some place he can safely be so you can clean. I know some people with cages like the Ferret Nation or Critter Nation will just block off the hole between the top and bottom and just clean one unit at a time.

I wouldn't worry too much about him yelling at you for not letting him out. Basically it's like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum because you said no and they go and pout. Nothing bad happened, you hurt his feelings not him physically so he should get over it pretty quickly. He will also be going through puberty soon which can cause him to test you (see what he can get away with), and be moody, try not to take it personally.

Back